Fueling 18 hpx maverick

dotschaser

15 hours ago, dotschaser said:

Any others having fuel filling issues with their maverick?   Gauge shows half full.  Can t seem to get anymore fuel in it.  No idea how much fuel is actually in boat.  Yamaha gauge is set to 29 gallons which is what tank size is.  2017 model boat.  Advice?

Here's an older thread - similar topic.

Just a side note, the solution I posted in that topic did not work out well after all, so I withdraw my recommendation of the Perko In-Line Vent Hose Surge Protector.  It started sticking and allowing fuel to spit and spill out the overboard vent again.  I have since installed a new product (high quality check valve) that seems to be working well.  Still testing it and will post product info later on, if it's a winner.

I am not sure this is relevant but I could never get the tank full on my "s" model while it was on the lift. The tank just would not vent. After it's annual service I stopped at a station with the boat and pumped 15 gallons into the tank no issue. I checked the boat's level on the trailer and it was spot on level.. On the lift 1/2 bubble off level.

I really think it comes down to tank location, in relation to the fuel fill hose and vent hose with the new EPA carbon canister requirements.  There just isn't enough space above a fuel tank, that is located above the floor in the forward deck compartment, for enough downward slope in the hoses - for filling and venting properly.  The carbon canister is supposed to stay dry.  Fuel is never supposed to reach it by flooding up the vent hose - but it does.  If the fuel tank is located below the floor, ahead of the console (sealed compartment with a large lid for easy removal and servicing), you get the benefits of faster fill-ups, better ventilation (with the carbon canister staying dry), and more storage space in the bow compartment.  Heck, you probably don't even need the stupid anti-siphon valve with the tank lower in the boat either!  Some will say the weight of the fuel is needed up front for COG balance and draft.  To fix that, a sturdy shelf to mount the batteries on, in the forward compartment would balance it out nicely.  Pictures of that setup are attached (boat company name withheld).

gs-features_98.jpg

gs-features_95.jpg

gs-features_3.jpg

Definitely seems like a vertical space issue as Geeviam stated, the 2018 2500 I have now has the canister above and forward of the tank and it vents like a champ, again because there’s room to do so.  If it ever does becomes a problem I’ll make room in the drawer with all my anti-siphon valves.