140 Suzuki on 17 MA

Mdaz1

Anyone have this set up?  I am going to freshen up my beloved 98 MA this winter and was wanting to put a 140 zuke on it.  

The best I can tell the weight difference is gonna be about 50lbs heavier than my 130 yamaha.  Just wanted to see if the boat will squat more with the added weight.  And how the motor does on this platform overall.

Thank ya

I had that on my 17MA I just sold. It didnt squat noticeably more, but you are not going to put three people on the stern. My Zuke was 04, it had super low gears and swung a big 4 blade, it would jump up but i lost alot of top end, but planning quick and getting up shallow were more important. Wot full fuel was in the low 40s with my prop set up. Great motor, would buy again. Boat was propped by Marcus at PT, did a great job. Just keep the internal engine anodes changed, I recommend yearly.

different boat (had RF 18) however went thru same thought process.  Yammy V about 350? lbs vs 140 Suzuki about 405lbs.   Weight didn't impact squat (RFs squat anyway).  Marcus put me in a 3 blade and jumped on plane.  I would buy 140 again.  2X - change the internal anodes every 100 hours or annually, whichever sooner.  

On 9/4/2019 at 10:38 AM, SkinnyWater79 said:

Look at 115 merc proxs with command thrust lower end. Awesome hole shot and performance . We just took a 135 merc off step dads 19 seapro . Went from top end 43 to 51 mph and the hole shot is awesome. Looking to may swing one on my 17ma 

I have that exact setup on my 2000 17' MA, I think that I can still get a bit more out of it but with full fuel, gear and my wife and I its a solid 47mph...

IMG_1471.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveC said:

I changed a few times and I didn't log my last set-up... I'll be back in E City Friday night and I'll let you know, sorry?

No worries, take your time - just curious.  I've got a Yamaha VF115 SHO with 2.15:1 gear ratio, but I've heard some good reports about the Merc CT 2.38:1 gear ratio.  Sure would be nice to have the broader selection of prop choices with the CT gearcase!

• Like 1

This is exact setup as my boat or it’s that guys old boat . 98ma with 09 115 nonsho jack plate 

negative wedge . 19p trophy 4 blade ported pvs 

. My cruise and top end are great . Hole shot could be better. My friends action craft with a 115 opti had same prop as I have now and had same hole shot drag. He ended up switching to a power tech 17 4 blade and hole shot was a lot better but looses top end . Going to try his prop on my boat soon see how she does . 

• Like 1