Maverick 17 HPXV Carbon Edition

Zesty

When Skip was on Florida Insider Fishing Report a few weeks ago, he announced a new Carbon Edition available and that info would be up on the website very soon.  I believe he said then entire top cap, console and hatches are all carbon saving approximately 220 lbs.  

Does anyone have info on this boat yet?  Will the 18 also have this option available?

11 hours ago, Zesty said:

When Skip was on Florida Insider Fishing Report a few weeks ago, he announced a new Carbon Edition available and that info would be up on the website very soon.  I believe he said then entire top cap, console and hatches are all carbon saving approximately 220 lbs.  

Does anyone have info on this boat yet?  Will the 18 also have this option available?

Having you and your fishing partner go on a diet, minimize gear and usIng Li ion batteries would be a lot more cost effective. 

18 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Curious, outside of cost, what is the downside of using carbon on the hull?

From what I gather, using all carbon without mixing it with another fabric, is more brittle.  Hence, carbon/kevlar is used.  There's a product called Carbon Innegra that is being used by high-end skiff builders, to make them lighter and float skinnier.  Demo video here:

Carbon fiber by itself is not very impact resistant. That is why Kevlar is used in combination with carbon fiber in hulls. I'm pretty sure a deck made exclusively with carbon fiber will be subject to increased stress cracks and if it suffers a hit, like from hopping off of a polling platform from a person of my stature it will crack. My question would be, what does the weight savings get you? Maybe 1" or so less draft? Of course they would sell just because it will be perceived as an upgrade to the “standard” model. It will be interesting to see what happens with real world experience, but I’m not cancelling my 2020 HPX order to line up for a lighter and possibly more fragile deck.

Wish I could find the video on their Facebook page.  Skip said two 17’s for customers have been built and price is much more affordable than you would expect.  

Not only would draft and time-to-plane decrease but increase top speed.  Great for the uncompromising tournament angler.  

I know MBC also built a 23 HPS in same fashion, but I don’t think it’s available as an option. 

I guess we’ll see if anything comes of it in the coming months.  Thanks for all the replies

Yes, we are using Carbon more these days.  We have now built 2-17HPX's with quite a few more on order and we just delivered the 3rd Pathfinder 23 built all Carbon.  On the HPX we do everything Carbon with the exception of the hull, it is a Kevlar/ Carbon mix. 

Yes it is somewhat expensive especially doing the larger Pathfinders, not terrible on the smaller Mavericks.  Some of the dealers have pricing on this option, not for everyone but on the Mavericks it saves a bunch of weight, I believe we lost about 180lbs on the first one, that's a game changer in the skiff world.  

Much more to come on this as we get further along.

Skip