MA 18 w 175 and PowerTech OFX4 Report

Bud_man

Hi All,

I figured I'd report on my new PowerTech OFX4 on my 2000 MA 18.5....

The original owner had installed a 4 blade PowerTech TRO 20" pitch.  I wasn't crazy about the performance - quite a bit of bow rise and not that quick hole shot, lots of cavitation through turns regardless of jack plate setting, etc., but it ran mostly square through most of the power band (30 mph at 3000 rpm, 50 mph at 5000 rpm, etc.).  Not being a speed freak and preferring a strong hole shot (I love to water ski), I was curious about other prop options.

At a boat show a few years ago I spoke with Marcus (aka FunkyMonkey here on the forum) from PowerTech and he indicated that the TRO is more bass boat/higher speed oriented prop and suggested that I might like the OFX4 in 18 pitch.  After a couple of years of watching for a used one, my fantastic wife bought me one for Christmas.

Well, Marcus nailed it for me again!  The OFX is outstanding - RIDICULOUS hole shot, excellent grip and no blowout through turns, it doesn't fall off plane when slowing down and crossing big boat wakes, etc., etc.  Interestingly, it still runs mostly square at my cruise of 25 to 35 mph.  As expected the top end is less by 5-6 mph at 5500 rpm (I didn't check to see if would go any higher), and it seems to like a bit of trim tab at my slower cruise speed to stop any porpoising.  But overall, it is perfect for what I was looking for.

Cheers,

Bud

The Funky Monkey has helped me with three or four boats / props set ups in 12 years and always nails it !  He is by far the best in knowledge and customer service that I personally have dealt with. Anytime an owner of a marine business is willing to give you his cell number and suggest you call if you have questions or issues....” there’s your sign “ that you are dealing with a person that genuinely cares about the outcome of the product and service you have purchased. 

I’m sure there are other good props and decent people to deal with other than PowerTech...however... this is just my opinion based on history and experience. 

12 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

The Funky Monkey has helped me with three or four boats / props set ups in 12 years and always nails it !  He is by far the best in knowledge and customer service that I personally have dealt with. Anytime an owner of a marine business is willing to give you his cell number and suggest you call if you have questions or issues....” there’s your sign “ that you are dealing with a person that genuinely cares about the outcome of the product and service you have purchased. 

I’m sure there are other good props and decent people to deal with other than PowerTech...however... this is just my opinion based on history and experience. 

Ditto...

He's prop'd my RF18, Pathy22, Pathy17, and now my MA17....always right on ...

DC