Yamaha 4.2L cowl latch corrosion

jason p

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Couldn't get the cowl off my 2018 port engine to do the annual service.  Since the marina shop had done the work the prior year I asked them to fix it.  They called me a couple weeks later and asked:  "Dave, you're not using the botat for a few weeks are you?  WE HAVE TO CUT SOME THINGS UP AND IT'LL BE OUT OF SERVICE".  After I calmed down they explained that they talked with Yamaha and were told to just cut the cowl and the latches off.  It is under warranty so Yamaha is sending a new cowl and parts to do the repair.  I'll be popping mine off every 3 months or so and lubing the latches from now on.

jeez. It's really amazing some of the things they cut corners on to save money. I get that a few bucks over a couple hundred thousand motors is significant to the margin but seriously. Well at least they're covering you, I think I'm about to go to battle over piston rings... more to follow.