2004 Gas odor

barrito

I have a 2004 Pathfinder 22' and when I first uncover or open hatches I get gas odor. I had the fuel level and fuel lines replaced but still get odor. Previous owner said it's been like that for awhile now. No water in fuel or gas in bildge. Hasn't blown up yet. Anyone else experience this? 

47 minutes ago, barrito said:

I have a 2004 Pathfinder 22' and when I first uncover or open hatches I get gas odor. I had the fuel level and fuel lines replaced but still get odor. Previous owner said it's been like that for awhile now. No water in fuel or gas in bildge. Hasn't blown up yet. Anyone else experience this? 

Same exact issue here since the day one when the boat was new.  Very slight gas odor in the forward compartment, even after replacing vent and supply hoses.  My guess is it's coming from the fuel guage sending unit where it's attached to the top of the tank.  I don't want to deal with pulling the tank to fix it just yet, so I leave the hatch propped open when it's in the garage to disperse the smell.

11 hours ago, geeviam said:

Same exact issue here since the day one when the boat was new.  Very slight gas odor in the forward compartment, even after replacing vent and supply hoses.  My guess is it's coming from the fuel guage sending unit where it's attached to the top of the tank.  I don't want to deal with pulling the tank to fix it just yet, so I leave the hatch propped open when it's in the garage to disperse the smell.

you won't be pulling that tank without cutting the deck. best find the leak and fix it.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 7:35 AM, imsnookyrd said:

This is very common with poly fuel tanks.  I just leave my hatches open a bit and that takes care of it. The odor just leaches through the tank and is not flammable.

If you have a poly tank, isnookyrd is correct. But if you have a metal tank, then you have a problem. You have replaced some fuel lines, but I'm confused about what fuel lines. You have a fill hose from the gas cap to the tank, a supply hose from the tank to motor and a vent hose from the tank to the hull near the rub rail. Another source of the leak could be the fuel sending unit that sits on top of the tank (two wires connected).