AmeriTrail axle replacement

JAYBIRD

I have a tandom axle Ameritrail trailer for my 22 Pathfinder, and was wondering if anyone had there's replaced at the factory in St Cloud. I have some one local that can do the job, but asked me to pick up the axles at the factory and bring them to their shop. They do great work. Just looking for input from the forum. Do you need to remove the boat? How long did the factory take to do the work? etc... I live within an hour from the factory so either way would be fine with me. Would love you input.. Thanks, Jay

1 hour ago, JAYBIRD said:

I have a tandom axle Ameritrail trailer for my 22 Pathfinder, and was wondering if anyone had there's replaced at the factory in St Cloud. I have some one local that can do the job, but asked me to pick up the axles at the factory and bring them to their shop. They do great work. Just looking for input from the forum. Do you need to remove the boat? How long did the factory take to do the work? etc... I live within an hour from the factory so either way would be fine with me. Would love you input.. Thanks, Jay

Axles are universal.  You just need the correct length and weight.  No need to have factory do it.  Axle swaps can be done in your driveway with some jack stands and a floor jack.  No the boat does not have to come off. 

I did the axle replacement myself.  I Strongly Suggest you get your replacement axles from Ameritrail. I called them, made arrangements and drove up and picked them up. As Lap it up stated its a pretty easy swap, but if you have it done by your local guy thats cool to.  When you call Ameritrail have your trailer info handy and he will know just what you need. Not all axles are the same. 

I did one myself and factory replaced it once.  I did the install on it the 1st go round not to difficult the guys at ameritrail gave me instuctions on how to do it.  It ended up eating tires pretty bad after so brought it to them and they determined the axle wasnt made right so they replaced it no charge took them and hour or 2.  Personally if im gonna pay someone to do it Id go with ameritrail their CS is great.  I had them replaced all 4 bunks and carpet recently and was pleasantly surprised that their pricing very good

Unless Ameritrail tells you that they use someone else's axles, you should use the Ameritrail axles for the replacement. I've replaced axles with the boat on and off the trailer. Off the trailer is much easier. I normally arrange with a nearby marina to keep the boat in one of their transit slips for a few hours while I take the trailer home to change the axles. If I do the work on weekdays, they usually don't charge me to use the slip. If you do not have air tools, a floor jack and jack stands, I'd recommend paying someone to do the work. 

Ameritrail has tie down build axles for them to Ameritrail specs. Every axle has a tag showing the part number, date of MFG, Serial number and capacity.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:18 AM, HoneyB said:

I know this thread is on axles but has anyone swapped there hubs for the vortex hubs? I was curious if anyone knew the part number that would go on a double axle AmeriTrail trailers. 

I use all 100 percent Kodiak stainless brakes, including the HUBS. I use  bearing buddys with covers to keep about 2 psi positive pressure inside the hub. (about one pump on grease gun). Thats just enough to keep water out but not enough the push the bearing buddy off or push grease out the rear seal. If the Vortex Hubs were available in stainless I think I would try them. Would make yearly maintenance easier.