Kid Friendly Rails for 24 Pathfinder

jtms

Have a 1 yr old and 5 yr old and want something I can cruise with the family and fish.  The 26 Pathfinder is perfect, but the 24 will likely be better because it drafts less.  Wife loves to fish but isn't wild about the low gunnels on the Pathfinder.  A friend is pushing me towards a Boston Whaler Dauntless and not my kind of boat but I get the family friendly part of it.  The Dauntless appears to have low gunnels similar to the Pathfinder but has railings all around the boat that provides a secure feel for the little ones.  

Has anyone done this on a Pathfinder?  I know it wouldn't look great, but I could simply remove the railings once the kids get older.  Thoughts?

My last boat was a pioneer cape island. Although I have owned a lot of boats that was my first one remotely close to a bay boat. My wife can swim but still has a huge “respect” close to fear of water. She did not say anything before I bought the boat but later admitted she thought she was going to be scared to death riding on top of a boat rather than in the boat. She told me this because she loved the boat and never get it was unsafe my youngest was maybe six when I bought the boat. I know a bit older than yours. 
 I say all of that to say if you operate the boat in a safe manner and do not take it past the crews comfort level when there on board they will feel safe. The rails look to offer protection but a nice OHH *** handle works just as well. Try to get your wife on a boat without the rails before you end up in a whaler. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

My last boat was a pioneer cape island. Although I have owned a lot of boats that was my first one remotely close to a bay boat. My wife can swim but still has a huge “respect” close to fear of water. She did not say anything before I bought the boat but later admitted she thought she was going to be scared to death riding on top of a boat rather than in the boat. She told me this because she loved the boat and never get it was unsafe my youngest was maybe six when I bought the boat. I know a bit older than yours. 
 I say all of that to say if you operate the boat in a safe manner and do not take it past the crews comfort level when there on board they will feel safe. The rails look to offer protection but a nice OHH *** handle works just as well. Try to get your wife on a boat without the rails before you end up in a whaler. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I wouldn't ever buy the Whaler and would go for the 26 Pathfinder if I can't get my wife comfortable with the 24 Pathfinder.  Our last boat was a 16 Hewes and she's totally comfortable with low gunnels, but not so much now that we have kidos.  I get it because our 2 year old is a climber and he'll climb any and everything and has no fear.  

1 hour ago, jtms said:

Have a 1 yr old and 5 yr old and want something I can cruise with the family and fish.  The 26 Pathfinder is perfect, but the 24 will likely be better because it drafts less.  Wife loves to fish but isn't wild about the low gunnels on the Pathfinder.  A friend is pushing me towards a Boston Whaler Dauntless and not my kind of boat but I get the family friendly part of it.  The Dauntless appears to have low gunnels similar to the Pathfinder but has railings all around the boat that provides a secure feel for the little ones.  

Has anyone done this on a Pathfinder?  I know it wouldn't look great, but I could simply remove the railings once the kids get older.  Thoughts?

The earlier Pathfinders had this on them...not the most beautiful look, but, functional...

I think your idea has merit....just have a good welder make you a simple set of railings....and since you know you will be eventurally taking them off, they can be designed accordingly....in fact, depending on how you design them, you might be able to even put them on and off with a set of connectors so when you are doing the hard core fishing thing without the family, it can be off and on....

There is no comparison between the Dauntless and Pathfinder....when it comes to shallow water design and fishing...

dc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

The earlier Pathfinders had this on them...not the most beautiful look, but, functional...

I think your idea has merit....just have a good welder make you a simple set of railings....and since you know you will be eventurally taking them off, they can be designed accordingly....in fact, depending on how you design them, you might be able to even put them on and off with a set of connectors so when you are doing the hard core fishing thing without the family, it can be off and on....

There is no comparison between the Dauntless and Pathfinder....when it comes to shallow water design and fishing...

dc

Agree it is not the best looking, but they are very functional.  From looking at the Whaler and other boats marketed as family friendly, they all seem to have low gunnels and just have railings to keep all the parents happy.  Great idea on a removable option and I'll explore and surely someone on this site has attempted. 

I went from a Boston whaler 170 montauk to a 2200 trs and had some of the same concerns. We have small kids and we’re used to the high whaler side and bow rails. Before they offered it as an option I had the side rails done like the larger 2600 along the bow front sides. They are short but fine for sitting up there. They are now available on the 2400 and 2200 trs. On the stern I had a polling platform done and love it. No way I am polling it but it is great for the kids and provides some safety out back, something to lean on and sit on and sight fish from. While the gunnels are fairly low, the width makes it feel very secure for us.  Absolutely no regrets from us.  We did look at the dauntless but it felt really small versus the pathfinder in terms of floor space. I also need a shallow draft so it was an easy choice. 

• Like 1

Sold my 18ft. Redfisher as it did not have the freeboard that I wanted and moved into a 20 foot bay boat. Love to take the grandchildren out for rides and go to lunch/diner. They are not allowed on the forward or rear casting platform and must be in a seating position when boat is in motion. Both girls ages 7 and 9 are very good swimmers and are in PFD's at all time. One or both parents are with us at all times and it has worked out well so far with no one falling in the boat or overboard including the captain. Eventually I will go back to a skiff to chase those fish that live in skinny water but for now, with the granddaughters, this works.

• Like 1

I have two small kids with a 22trs and not once have I thought it wasn't safe for them.  Being cautious and paying attention to them is more important than the size of the boat...

Every weekend I see a someone with a kayak/gheenoe/john boat.. whatever with kids.   Pretty sure you"re good with a 24' bay boat....

Not to detract from the OP and safety for the kiddos but This thread really makes me think of the first time I took my springer spaniel on the boat. Left the dock in the no wake zone the pup was so curious about what was going on running to the bow and sticking her nose down stretching with all her might to reach the water. My wife was going nuts telling me she’s gonna jump in. I said calmly but sternly she’s not going to jump out of...... I never finished that statement because the splash of my pup hitting the water stopped  me. I quickly switched the boat off until we passed her and started the engine and turned to retrieve our baby... she swam to the boat and has never jumped in again with the boat in motion... it was funny then and still makes me smile.   Oh and yes I did get to hear I told u she was gonna jump in :)