Repower Hewes 16 1994

DBKEYS

2 hours ago, Attitudeindicator said:

I can tell you at 5500 rpm I’m going 30mph and my fuel is around 6-7 GPH

if I’m going around 25mph I get about 3gph fuel burn

I’ll make sure to update everything once I get the right prop setup 

Was there a typo at 25mph getting 3, vs 30 getting 6-7?  What is the max rpm on that engine, 5500 at 30 seems hight

3 hours ago, Attitudeindicator said:

I just repowered my 1999 16’ bonefisher with an F70 . I started a repower thread on it, just haven’t updated with performance numbers since I’m still breaking in the engine.

currently running  a stock aluminum prop I believe it’s 15.25 x 15 

I hit 37mph@ 6200rpm full fuel so far 

once it’s properly broken in I’m going to play around with props. Looking at the powertec scd3 15 pitch to try next

Hope this helps a bit

37 mph at 6200 rpm full fuel is outstanding!  That's 3% slip.  I've never been able to get 3%, even with a Spitfire X7 4-blade!  Your stock aluminum prop is more likely a 13.25 x 15, but doing the job well!  Bully for you!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, geeviam said:

37 mph at 6200 rpm full fuel is outstanding!  That's 3% slip.  I've never been able to get 3%, even with a Spitfire X7 4-blade!  Your stock aluminum prop is more likely a 13.25 x 15, but doing the job well!  Bully for you!!

Yes your right! It’s a 13.25 x 15. 3 blade.. I’ll edit the original post to avoid confusion. thanks for pointing that out 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DBKEYS said:

Beautiful boat.  Do you feel the extra weight?  Are the scuppers dry when boat sits at dock or wall?  Have you had any problems with the etec?  My decision has come down to those two.  Also does the Etec have a separate oil tank and where did you put it?

No I honestly don’t feel the weight. It’s 60 lbs difference I think.  I’m cognizant of the weight I guess so I use the front hatch for storage more than I normally would. Scuppers are dry. No problems with the etec. I’m still working out prop selection. At 5500 I get 40 mph and the thing jumps up quick, which was a big consideration. I’ve had it for a few months and I came from a 1999 Yamaha 90 two stroke. 

1 hour ago, DBKEYS said:

Suspect that you are right in that both would be good.  Greatly appreciate everyones comments and info.

Under power my old 2cycle 90 is *** noisy, and you are sitting right on the engine.  How about the noise on that Etec?

I’d say the F70 is probably the quietest of the two, but the etec is still significantly quieter than the older two strokes. Night and day compared to my old yammy.

• 1 year later...

Not to thread jack but has anyone on here put a suzuki 90 on one yet? Currently my boat (1994 bonefisher tournament) has and is rated for a 115 which weighs roughly 370lbs. A suzuki df90 weighs 341. I currently have one on order. I'm nervous because I keep second guessing it. But none the less still excited. My boat was set up with 2 batteries in the console none at the stern. The new set up will be df90 on the back 3 batteries in the console and a trolling motor up front. My hope is it helps it balance out. Don't mind the sloppy edit dont need pics of my wife out there she would be pissed haha

1180078407_20170529_131441(1).jpg

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Blactaco23 said:

Haha....is that your boat? I currently have one on order. I'm hoping I didn't make the wrong decision 

Yes it is!! I think you will enjoy it 👍

As for weight distribution, I moved everything possible forward either in the console or towards the bow. Batteries are up front in the bow. Definitely helps..

On 5/29/2021 at 5:38 AM, polliwog said:

I just followed up on this and wondered if engine availability is as tough as I have heard?  Everyone I have spoken to say most engines are unavailable. 

I dont think it should be as tough by now for new... I’m not sure since I havent ordered new. But the used market is definitely rough. Lack of availability and all thats left are motors with 1200+hrs and they want $10k+

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on my new 90 to come in...ordered it in February :( however the powerpole came in and trolling motor should be on the way. Gave me plenty of time to do a bunch of other upgrades.

I'm really excited about the 90. I move everything forward. No batteries in the stern at all. I even remove the poling platform. I don't use it. Im Hoping going from the 115 2 stroke to the 90 that I can make is sit a little lighter in the rear. plus the weight shift and removing stuff. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for keeping this thread running.

I am still interested in others experience on repower of my 94 Bonefisher.  Covid has obviously put everything behind so now getting back around to doing it.  I know that there are some rebuilds out there that went with 70.  Were they happy?

My boat was ordered as Kevlar but I have never understood whether the hull was delivered as such and not sure that I can tell.  Any tips on how to tell and how much weight would this have saved.

For those of you that may have changed fuel tanks can you describe what a hassle it was and why you changed out.  How did you redo the deck?  If you went 4stroke did you put a smaller tank in?

Also Blactaco23 please update us on that 90.  Mine of same yr also rated for 115 but I still wonder if scuppers would go under and how stern heavy it might be.  I boat off a seawall so need to be self bailing etc and I still pole it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DBKEYS said:

I am still interested in others experience on repower of my 94 Bonefisher.  Covid has obviously put everything behind so now getting back around to doing it.  I know that there are some rebuilds out there that went with 70.  Were they happy?

My boat was ordered as Kevlar but I have never understood whether the hull was delivered as such and not sure that I can tell.  Any tips on how to tell and how much weight would this have saved.

For those of you that may have changed fuel tanks can you describe what a hassle it was and why you changed out.  How did you redo the deck?  If you went 4stroke did you put a smaller tank in?

Also Blactaco23 please update us on that 90.  Mine of same yr also rated for 115 but I still wonder if scuppers would go under and how stern heavy it might be.  I boat off a seawall so need to be self bailing etc and I still pole it.

Still love my F70! I never changed my fuel cell and glad I didn’t. It acts as a nice ballast and I can balance out the boat perfectly depending on who I have aboard. 

On 7/11/2021 at 2:15 PM, DBKEYS said:

Still waiting on my df90...

I did replace my fuel tank. Basically I did a half cap. There was no need to pull the entire cap off so we used the gap in the nonskid to make a nice seam 

1821.jpg

1823.jpg

1830.jpg

1831.jpg

1832.jpg