Fuel Range

SW Skif

Guys,

I am really appreciating the versatility of my ‘99 2200v.

I had a Dolphin Super Skiff for 30 years...great boat but my needs changed over the years.  

Anyway, with a 60 gallon tank what safe /realistic ranges is anyone else getting with the 2200v?  I know this is a broad question to ask and will vary from engine & props but wanted a ballpark.

Ultimately I’ll have to figure this out but I’ve got my eye on making it out to Lostmans & Shark River áreas from the Goodland/ Port of the Islanda areas.  

Thanks in advance. 

I average about 3 miles to the gallon in my 2200 with a 200 sho. I can get a mile or so better or worse depending on how hard I run. A good rule is 1\3 out,1\3 back and 1\3 reserve. A very safe distance for me is 120 miles. Now do I play it safe.......Well thats another discussion. I could do Goodland to Shark River and back pretty easy, but weather, wind and waves could be a fuel eater. I have run across guys 10 miles west of Ponce de Leon Bay that put in at Choko and they think nothing of it.

I stopped using the fuel gauge a long time ago. Put a nema 2000 network in my Pathfinder. Do that if your motor can give you the info. Once you fill up and set the gps on full tanks and it’s super accurate showing consumption, range mpg. As mentioned above about 3 mpg at 3700 rpm, 30 mph, sho 200, wow PF tournament

• Like 1

The longest non-stop run I have done is from Alice Town Bimini to Chub Cay, almost exactly 90 miles.  Have done this a couple of times and with 2 people and a loaded boat with provisions for 7 days and get 30 gallons of fuel when we arrive.  This is with a 150 HP OX66 EFI 2 stroke.  So the 3 MPG is very accurate estimate.

16 hours ago, DonV said:

"This is with a 150 HP OX66 EFI 2 stroke"

Yowza! That's really good for an EFI! My Merc 225 EFI liked two things oil and gas...lots of gas!!! :)  It never saw or dreamed about 3 mpg even with the wind blowing from behind and going downhill!!

Don, when I had the same Merc 225 I jokingly said it was gas cooled, because it sure loved it.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 1:28 PM, DonV said:

"This is with a 150 HP OX66 EFI 2 stroke"

Yowza! That's really good for an EFI! My Merc 225 EFI liked two things oil and gas...lots of gas!!! :)  It never saw or dreamed about 3 mpg even with the wind blowing from behind and going downhill!!

I have a 2.6L 175 carbed ProV and get 3-3.5 MPG consistently as long as you stay just under 4000 RPM.  I got those numbers on a 21MA and now on a 18.5 Wahoo (whaler copy).

I have friends with EFI 3 liter mercs and none of them get the same range.  Actually a carbed 3 liter merc gets better MPG's then the EFI. 

Horrendous fuel mileage is the only bad thing I'll ever say about my old Merc. It never let me down and always ran perfectly.  Funny story, the guy I sold it to seemed pretty nice and also seemed to know a lot about boats when I told him I always ran it at 3800 to 4000 because that was where it got the best performance and fuel burn. Anyway he calls me up and said he and his two boys, who were well in to the 300 pound range, took it out 50 - 60 miles grouper fishing and almost did not make it back home on the gas he had. I asked him, 1. you took it out on your first trip 50 miles without a test run?? and 2. how fast were you running? He said 35 - 40 mph around 5000 rpms!! I had to mute the phone so he would not hear me laughing knowing he was getting maybe 1.5 mpg at that speed!!!