Aluminum boat trailer axle question

wrhatt

Looking for suggestions. I have a 2000 Pathfinder 2200V with a 150 2-stroke Yamaha sitting on an aluminum trailer with a single 3500 lb axle. According to the truck stop scales, total weight is 3250 lbs when connected to my truck. It weighs 3500 lbs total on the scale alone not connected to the truck. My typical towing distance is 2 hours to the west coast of Florida or 7 hours to the Keys. Mostly on the Interstate. At some point in the future I plan on adding a larger 4-stroke motor which would increase the weight on the boat and trailer. Would you keep this single 3500 lb axle set up or would you go with a twin axle set up that I commonly see with other 2200 Pathfinders? I assume they are twin 3500 lb axles. Or, possibly, go with single 5000 lb axle? Thank you for your suggestions.

I' m not sure about the EZLoader as i do not have one.  My 21 came with a single axle Continental.  After 2 flats in a few months a second axle was under the boat and life has been good after that.  It was easy to do just a lot of measuring.  I had thought about keeping it a single 5200# with D tires and I'm sure that would have worked well but just like the idea of twin axles.  If something happens with a twin axle I know I can make it home on one axle.

• Like 1

My trailer manufacture EzLoader replied to my email and said they do not recommend altering the trailer in any way. I've seen another 22 foot pathfinder on a twin axle trailer down the road a piece. I think I'll go by his place and see if he'll let me measure his trailer and see if my trailer measure's up. I bought the boat and trailer used so this trailer may not even be the original trailer. Thank you all again for the replies.

I upgraded my single 3500 axle to a single 6000 pound axle. Went from 14 to 15 inch tires. Never had another tire failure. Period. You really don't need the second axle on the 22 PF. upgrading the single to a larger carrying capacity and the larger tires is all you need. I towed mine from SW FL to the Virginia Eastern shore multiple times and never had an issue. I always carry 2 spares and a box full of parts including a new spindle, hub, bearings, seals, etc. Better safe than sorry. 

• Like 2