Egret is killing it!

whichwaysup

2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

My 2000 MA has a poly tank, but apparently they went back to Aluminum after that.  Not sure why.   I agree that it is a short sighted decision to put something in the heart of a boat that has a clearly limited lifespan . . . and putting it where that lifespan is automatically shortened doesnt make much sense.   From what I understand though, cutting out the floor of the cockpit isnt a nightmare, and as far as major projects go, is on the more affordable side of the equation.  

Anyone know the typical lifespan of poly vs. Aluminum?

Thats one to hang on to then!  My understanding is the poly tanks can theoretically pretty much last forever but I don't know anyone who's lived forever to verify

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 1:36 PM, justfish said:

Something other than an uncoated aluminum fuel tank or a design that won't need the floor to be cut out to be replace it. 

Meh pretty sure boats, trucks, cars etc are not designed with that long life span then or certainly not now. Pretty sure to change timing belt/chain onHonda auto engine is more than a tank cutout and replacement. I know GM Duramax engines tell you right up front at 150K their timing chain has to be changed and the trans has to come loose for that so tank changing on older boat is along those lines. With that said...mine is 24 and uncoated and still holding...dont jinx me.

• 1 year later...

Long time MA 21 owner here.  Have a 2003 Carbon Kevlar with a 2019 G2 250 HO.  Running light and propped out right it can get into the low 70's.  We had it at 73.8 on GPS once.   With a tournament load its a mid to upper 60's runner.   We have been waiting for quite a while to make the move to a new 21 MA if/when MBG would bring it back into production.  IMO it has by far the best lines of any flats boat ever.  It gets shallow and handles a chop decent for long runs.   No you can't pole it, but I'm too lazy for that anyways, and we have a 17 HPX tunnel for that type of fishing as well.   With MBG deciding on the 21 RF last year its pretty obvious that the 21 MA wont be coming back.   So yesterday I sent over a signed contract to Frank at Egret on a new build for a 2011 with a 300R Mercury.   Frank said the lead time is about 14 weeks so I should be able to let you know the speed numbers in about 4 months if everything goes right. 

I have talked to multiple 2011 owners who have had their boats in the 72-74 range with 250 pro xs and SHO motors.  It all varies depending on battery configurations and weight.  Also from everything I have read and everyone that I have talked to the 300R is an absolute beast of a motor so I am expecting high 70's to possibly low 80's.   I have a wife and two very young children so the amount of time the boat will be going over 55 is probably less than 10%.   However, it will be nice to see what it can do in pulling away from other boats on tournament days.   The 21 MA is a solid boat and rode very nice for the most part.   We have had multiple 18 MA in the past and I think the 21 rides much better in even the smallest chop compared to those.   I have listened to stories for years about how great the ride of an Egret is.  Two years ago we fished the IFA championship out of Venice, LA.  On the first day of the tournament a tropical storm was coming through the area yet they still decided to have the tournament.  We were fishing almost to Delicroix, LA which is a 63 mile run each way up the Mississippi.  To put it nicely we got the dogcrap beat out of us on the way up.   On the way back in the afternoon we were continuing to get pounded until we tucked in behind an Egret 18'9 that was doing the same.   I watched for over 20 miles as the two guys in front of sat in what looked like a very smooth ride compared to me as stood behind the console getting pounded.   When we got back to the dock I told my father I was going to start looking into the Egrets as soon as we got back to south Florida.   Here we are a year and a half later and now I am just waiting on it to get here.   

The 21 MA will be for sale once the Egret gets here.  Still going to hold on to the 17 hpx T because that boat is way to fun to fish shallow water.  I don't think a better skiff has ever been made then that little boat.   The 21 MA for sale is a 03 Kevlar with an 2019 250HO G2 on the back.  Not sure exactly but probably right around 85 hours on it.   Boat had a complete rewire less than a year ago.  Every wire and pump changed out.   Its a tournament ready boat with 2 8ft PP Blades only a little over a year old, and a 36 Minn Kota Ulterra with a 36v Lithium Pros battery set up with PP Charge system.  Not sure what the price is going to be but I'm thinking 40k ish. 

Redfish,

Good and balanced post.   I've been dreading the day that my MA gets to a point where I need to upgrade.  Not sure if that day will ever come, but having watched Nagjuice's boat get totaled by a tree, and another buddy's boat totaled by a texting driver, I know the possibility is high.    

Like you, I keep hoping that the next "redfisher" will be an MA hull, but I'm less and less convinced that will ever happen.   Greenville NC is just up the road from me, and if I had to choose between an egret and a redfisher, it would be a tough decision.   I do hear great things from Egret owners, and about Frank's customer service.    I've been on a redfisher, and it's a great boat, but it's not an MA.   Eventually, I'm going to take a drive up to Greenville and ask Frank to put his egret up against my MA and convince me that it's better.   I have a bad feeling it might at least be comparable . . . and available new.  

If you are going to get an all purpose flats boat, you need something that handles chop.    It isn't going to get you super skinny, but outside of the keys, there are a lot of places where you simply don't need to pole around in spit to find fish.   More often, though, you're running across some nasty chop to get to where the fish are, or you've got 2-3 kids and need a little elbow room and a nice wide beam.   

I hope you post up a fair, honest comparison when you get your new boat.   As long as you aren't bashing MBG, I'd think it would be appreciated by many here.    

On 2/13/2020 at 5:49 AM, whichwaysup said:

Wow, egrets are 500 lbs lighter than mavs and redfishers???  and 4 inches longer?  I also didmt realize that the redfisher was longer than the MA.   

As for the trim tabs, They are already, aguably, too sensitive on the MA.  Just look at the switch and you can feel the bow dig in.  You really have to learn how to barely bump the switch or things can get exciting.   

500 lbs??  I still cant believe that.  My fiberglass guy was surprised how thin the glass on my hull was, curious how Egret is saving that much weight.  Thats an entire engine!

My sons Beavertail Mosquito is listed in the 500lb range.

• Like 1

WhichWaysUp,

I will definitely be fair about the follow up post.  Like I said I love the 21 MA and will continue to be a MBG owner with the 17 HPX T.     My uncle is one of the larger MBG dealers here in south Florida and he all but told me the 21 MA is never coming back and that was before Malibu bought the company.   I agree with everything you said about what the boats and what they are capable of.   As a 21 MA owner and a 18MA owner I can say from experience that the storage and ride that come with the 21 by far exceeds any small amount of fishing capability you may lose if any.   I pretty much only fish for redfish anymore all over Florida and Louisiana and I have learned that there are really very few times when you cant find fish in water 4-5" deeper so saving that amount in draft does nothing for me.  Id rather be comfortable with the room to walk around boat and handle a chop.   Having said that, some of the best fishing I do is on negative tides in my HPX-T where no other boat could get to at those times.    

From my discussions with Frank he was not the most welcoming or talkative individual until he realized that I was serious and not just kicking tires.  Once I had the original proposal from him and called him back to really go over some things he got very friendly and was very helpful.  He knows his boats well and has a lot of knowledge about the designs.   I totally understand the feelings that most people have developed about "Egret Owners" and I felt the same way until I actually starting talking to quite a few of them this past year.   Almost all of them are down to earth guys who love their boats.  They think their boats our top of the line just as MA owners do.   Yes I am going to put an Egret sticker on my truck now, but I have had a Maverick Sticker on my trucks for 20 years.  It is what it is.

Finally I think most people would be surprised on the price numbers for the Egrets.   Back in the day they were much more expensive than other comparable boats.  However, I think that the rest of the market is now very close in price to what a Egret build would be.    ex. I saw a used 2021 Redfish with a 250 yamaha and trailer for sale last week.    I'm pretty sure they were asking 83k for it as a used boat.   On the 2011 I ordered I am doing some upgrades on it and decided to go with an Ameritrail dual axel that I will be purchasing from them directly.   However, my build is not that far off of the Redfisher and has in my opinion a better layout with rod lockers and deck.   Also I did the Kevlar upgrade and a 300R.   I would think for a 2011 with a 250 yamaha and an ezloader trailer it would be very close to the same numbers as the 21 Redfisher.    Just something to keep in mind.   

• Like 3