Rust Remover

DavisIslander

Options:

1) Replace everything and bed with proper sealant, 3M 4000 is a good one for me.

2) Definitely replace the screws, polish hardware well(Flitz), reinstall with proper sealant.

3) Replace screws, use Super Stainless, reinstall with sealant. https://www.gemlux.com/stainless-steel-care

https://www.gemlux.com/how-to-boat-hardware-videos

I wouldn't use anything abrasive like sand paper or steel brush, soft tooth brush if needed. Rust removal spray for fiberglass stains and polish or Super Stainless for SS.

Good luck!

On 2/15/2020 at 10:52 PM, jim33042 said:

Eventually you may want to just replace those screws, as the rust will come back

definitely.  Even good quality 316 stainless steel will lose it's passification and once it starts rusting, it won't quit.  Remove, clean the stain, replace the rusty dusty.

7 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

very interesting article.  So in effect, stainless steel is constantly regenerating the protective layer. Sounds like corrosion is a function of damage occurring faster than the metal can heal . . .  I wonder if there is a way to delay the oxidation long enough to allow the layer to redevelop?

You can wash it with acid to try and get a fresh, pure, layer of oxide on the surface to resist the rusting - but chances are that once the rust has developed, it's created micro fissures in all the crevices in the crystalline steel structures and the acid either can't reach those areas or the crevices create the ideal conditions for the corrosion to setup again.  Once it's rusting, there isn't a way to completely passivate it again as far as I know.

On things large enough to have an anode, install them.  I had to replace one of my 10yr old trim tabs recently because there was only 1/2 of the hinge pin left due to corrosion when a $1.99 anode would have kept it like new.  Before I ever splashed it, I put an aluminum anode on the replacement tab.  The anode sheds electrons (as it corrodes) and charges the cathodic metal keeping it protected from corrosion.

29 minutes ago, JakeK said:

You can wash it with acid to try and get a fresh, pure, layer of oxide on the surface to resist the rusting - but chances are that once the rust has developed, it's created micro fissures in all 

On things large enough to have an anode, install them.  I had to replace one of my 10yr old trim tabs recently because there was only 1/2 of the hinge pin left due to corrosion when a $1.99 anode would have kept it like new.  Before I ever splashed it, I put an aluminum anode on the replacement tab.  The anode sheds electrons (as it corrodes) and charges the cathodic metal keeping it protected from corrosion.

Id be curious how you set that up/attached it if you can post pics

On 2/20/2020 at 4:13 PM, whichwaysup said:

Id be curious how you set that up/attached it if you can post pics

These anodes started corroding super fast - I left the boat in the water (in the Keys) for a week and the degradation was definitely noticeable of the anode.  I just checked Amazon where I bought them to give you guys a link (and a cautionary tale about making sure they're aluminum) and they either fixed the listing or I bought the zinc versions by accident because it clearly shows the zinc version under the part number I bought now.  If using in saltwater, use the aluminum versions of these anodes....they're super affordable and will greatly extend the life of the $140 trim tab:  Buying a qty of "1" gets you two anodes that are connected with a screw.  I just drilled a hole in the trim tab and installed them with a button head cap screw from the bottom (same type of screw that connects the tab actuator).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E1XV4E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

49582295747_67b40750ce_c.jpg

• Thanks 1

Haven't had a chance to read the above article, but we had this discussion several years ago. I posted something that I found on the internet about caring for stainless. The jest of the article was that stainless has to be isolated from standing water. They suggested that s/s screws, hinges and other stainless parts be beaded with some quality caulk to keep standing water from reacting with the stainless.

I have always used zincs on my boats with tabs. Never had a problem. Also have them on my troll n tab skegs/fans. As far as stopping rust on parts, mainly in the bilge of boats. Many years ago a surveyor told me about a product that stops rust and turns it back to its orig material and can be painted over. Have used it on the pathy ped seating post holder under the front deck. No more rust stains in locker. Just paint it on. Would not used where it can be seen on the outside unless you paint the part. Good luck.

This is not the product but works the same. Used it in the engine compartment on a twin engine SF I had. Did not even have to sand the rust, but I did so it looked smooth. Everything looked new when finished and no more rust or corrosion. Can paint any color afterwards, goes on black.

2CC3516B-7030-4E6F-BA20-5F6FBD3CA595.jpeg