Random power loss- Outboard only

Chadilac918

Hey new here but have an 2002 1806V with a 2002 Yam 115 2 stroke. Has been a great boat for the family. Just rewired the boat a month ago except for the ignition harness which we did not touch. Today while cruising at about 3500RPM complete power loss to the outboard, but cranked right back up. Once we got in and home started right up to flush as well. I have checked the battery terminals, the main power to the outboard and everything appears to be fine. Ignition harness and killswitch seem to be fine as well. Has anyone else ever had something like this happen? Would like to not be worried about it in the future. Thanks for any insight.

5 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

What about the battery switch? Sometimes they just fail from fatigue.

Did you run the boat/motor for a significant time after the "power loss", just to make sure it's not a fuel issue?

That is true and that is an inexpensive replacement that is easy to get to. I'll pick one up and replace it. I know it has been on the boat 4+ years, but the boat is also garage kept. 

Ran it for about 30-45 minutes at anywhere from 2500-4500 RPM without incident afterwards. It was weird.

It didnt feel like it ran out of gas. The bottom just fell out. I did pump the primer ball and it wasn't firm, but I wouldn't say it was soft either. Kinda in between. No sputtering or hesitation though when the power dropped. I talked to my mechanic this morning and he seemed to suspect kill switch and asked if I remembered bumping anything since in over a year and 100+ hours this is the 1st hiccup in operation. 

2 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Kill switch or key switch would be the first things I'd look at if you indeed feel its spark loss.  Did you maybe bump the key and apply choke?  It will fall on its face and die if you hold the choke

It's funny you say that because that's the first thing people I have spoken to have asked me. I very well could have. I am going to put new plug in tonight, it's time anyways, and run it tomorrow after work. I'll report back once I get that knocked out. Next step would likely be ignition and battery switch replacement. Thanks for the help.

If you decide to get into the battery switch, you can inspect it without taking everything apart. But, you will have to separate the front and back (the backside has the wires connected to it). When you remove the front, look inside and inspect for broken plastic parts. Also look on the back for the same broken or fractured plastic parts. Be very careful with the backside, because the wires are hot. You may want to disconnect the hot wires at the battery post. That is easier than disconnecting the hot wires from the switch.

After you have eliminated all the above stuff and if the problem occurs again, I'd replace the anti-siphon valve on top of the fuel tank. It's cheap and usually quick and easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip. I didnt realize the front and back could be separated. I went ahead and disconnected the batteries so I wasn't dealing with hot wires. Everything looked in order. I've put about 3.5 hours since the last occurence. Appreciate the advice on the anti-siphon valve as well. If it happens again that'll be the next thing to dig into.

I also had a similar problem on Sunday.   Motor abruptly shut off 2x.    I did experience battery issues earlier in the morning and also on my previous trip (batteries are 6 years old).   I think my batteries are done and I am planning to replace this week.   

I did have a batter switch about 3 weeks ago and did replace that.   

I was also told this might be a ground issue.   I do plan on cleaning terminals and ground bar to hopefully resolved.   

It is my understanding that the yamahas will *** off if they lose 12volts.   

• 1 month later...