GPS External Antenna & Internal

AntonRx

He all. Didn’t see this anywhere (it might be common knowledge) but I swapped out my old gps for my 942xs. I still have the external antenna mounted on top of t-top from the old Gps. If I connect it to the 942, will it use the external “and” the internal antenna or does it just use one? Rather than remove it and have a hole up in the t-top fabric, is like to reuse it if possible. 

8 minutes ago, DonV said:

Did not know there was even a jack on the 942 for an external antenna? In any case look at page #2 in your owners manual to pick GPS source. In any case I'd use the internal only.

I think it has a coaxial connection of some kind. Haven’t really looked at it. Will assess today. 

4 hours ago, smilemaker said:

Another reason to use an external antenna is the addition of an electronic compass. It is often beneficial to know the heading of the boat on the gps while drift fishing or just anchored.

No electronic compass on the internal antenna. 

My garmin internal antenna gps shows compass heading and has a compass strip at top of chart. Use it for drift fishing at times

There is a big difference in an electronic compass and a bearing reading on the gps.

The electronic compass tells you which way the boat is facing regardless of movement.  The bearing on the gps tells you which direction you are  going regardless of the boats direction. If you are drifting sideways in a current at 6 knots the bearing on the gps shows the boat moving straight whereas the electronic compas will show the boat in the proper orientation moving sideways  on the chart.

Sometimes it can be important. 

Its not the difference between internal/ external its the hardware it contains, a regular GPS will always show the bow of your boat pointing in the direction the boat is moving.  Your MFD or GPS antenna has no clue where your bow is therefore it cannot show you on the graph exactly how your boats positioned on the water.  A heading sensor must be oriented so it knows which direction the bow is and has the electronic compass which solves this issue.  I figured this out when I 1st started bottom fishing.  Without heading sensor it was difficult at best to set up and anchor on structure as I couldnt get accurate stable reading and once anchored the graph would show the structure at point x relative to the boat but in reality it was not there 

13 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Its not the difference between internal/ external its the hardware it contains, a regular GPS will always show the bow of your boat pointing in the direction the boat is moving.  Your MFD or GPS antenna has no clue where your bow is therefore it cannot show you on the graph exactly how your boats positioned on the water.  A heading sensor must be oriented so it knows which direction the bow is and has the electronic compass which solves this issue.  I figured this out when I 1st started bottom fishing.  Without heading sensor it was difficult at best to set up and anchor on structure as I couldnt get accurate stable reading and once anchored the graph would show the structure at point x relative to the boat but in reality it was not there 

Just did some research about my garmin unit. It states it does have an electronic compass built in. On my chart it shows the direction of where the bow is pointing at any given time. Example at my dock it shows the bow pointing down my canal and that is how it’s tied to my dock. What am I missing.