Repairing Bob's Machine Shop oil reservoir

knotthereelworld

My oil reservoir on the jackplate pump has several cracks in it. Has anyone attempted to repair one of these with epoxy or anything else? Is there a substitute oil I can use in place of the Bob's brand that anyone recommends?

EDIT: Spoke to a mechanic friend who said it can be temporarily repaired with JB Weld after cleaning with brake cleaner. Will attempt to do so and report back. 

Thanks in advance!

8 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

https://bobsmachine.com/product/reservoir-kit/

They ship quick. Just rebuilt a 6" jackplate. If the tank is cracking don't repair replace.

Thanks, unfortunately I am stuck with repairing temporarily. I have to fix because I'm heading to the Keys on Sunday. Bob's does not ship quick. On Wednesday afternoon I ordered the kit from them and paid extra for 2nd Day Air. UPS just told me it will arrive in Virginia on Monday. Called Bob's to discuss delivery since I ordered it to arrive Friday or Saturday and frankly, their customer service leaves much to be desired. It wasn't given to UPS until Thursday at 8 p.m., 30 plus hours after my order.  If I wanted to order a new one and send to Florida, I have to pay a restocking fee to Bob's for this one that sits on my doorstep till I return. 

22 minutes ago, HarleyG8r said:

Bob's jackplates use a MerCruiser trim pump, you can get a new reservoir for 30 bucks. I wouldn't mess around with trying to repair, if it's failing, probably means the plastic is weak and new cracks will keep popping up.

https://www.amazon.com/Reservoir-Mercruiser-Oildyne-Replaces-854531-1/dp/B007TN55Y2

Thank you. This one looks like the old model with single screw in the bottom. The one I have is newer version and I've got one on order from them, but it won't be arriving when they indicated it would. I'm heading to Florida Sunday to use the boat. 

Stop by Bob's on the way down through Florida and pick it up and let me know, I am in Miami and we will get it installed at my house in no time and off you go! That's option #1 

Option #2 Get West Systems 6/10 epoxy in a caulking tube and use that with plastic backing plates cut out from a gallon  milk jug. Oh yeah, the milk jug has curves to fit the corners too! 

If you have the time take it off drain and clean.

If you have a piece of starboard or you can use a plastic jug cut into strips. Use a heavy putty knife or old screwdriver with a butane torch heat the plastic tank lightly then get putty knife real hot and weld in the plastic strips. Go for functional not pretty so don't worry about looks.

8 hours ago, smilemaker said:

If you have a piece of starboard or you can use a plastic jug cut into strips. Use a heavy putty knife or old screwdriver with a butane torch heat the plastic tank lightly then get putty knife real hot and weld in the plastic strips. Go for functional not pretty so don't worry about looks.

This ^^.  I have done it many times at work for small plastic gas and oil tanks as a "get by" until the new tanks have come in.  It has always worked almost to good as some of the tanks never got replaced.  The key is to get both the tank and the filler hot enough to melt.  Think of it like welding with oxy accetylene.

• 2 weeks later...