Transducer for Simrad NSS12 Evo 3?

Drummer

Hoping to get some expert opinions about transducers with this one. I am considering upgrading my electronics to the Simrad NSS Evo3. I recently co-hosted an episode of Florida Sportsman Watermen, using their Islamorada 24 with this unit. Two of them, actually. Most of my fishing is inshore bay and near coastal, although sometimes I may run  out to the edge where the water is 150-250 feet. I enjoyed the resolution on their boat and was able to "see" fish and bottom contour much better than with my older Lowrance unit. So the question is: What's the best transducer(s) for this unit and this type of fishing? I am a fisherman, not an electronics expert...  Thanks, all. 

It really depends on what you want to spend, many choices here to choose from like CHIRP or traditional sonar, frequency low, med or high, power output and mounting type transom or thru hull.  You tend to get what you pay for but as the transducer is the "ear" of the system so you want it to be able to listen well (do some research on Q factor in transducers). 

IF you are after clean crisp images Id go with a CHIRP unit, dont be fooled by OE transducers claiming they are CHIRP they claim it, but its not real CHIRP. 

As to frequency I think youd do fine with any of the choices based on your max depth of 250' that said the lower the frequency the deeper it will read.  Lower frequency also has a wider cone so you will be seeing alot more of the water column.  frequency also affects detail you will see... the higher it is the better the detail this is because its concentrating power in a narrower area the higher you go.

Power output wont be critical at your depths and its different for CHIRP vs traditional but id go with at east 300 watts

As to the mounting type thru hull is bit more involved so it would cost more to install and a large hole is drilled thru the bottom of the hull.  Transom mounts are mounted with just a few screws onto the back of the hull sounds simple but may require alot of fine tuning and adjustment to get it into clean water for good readings.

Personally Id recommend an Airmar thru hull in med to high frequency.  B150M, B75M, B75H would be my top choices.  I ran a B150M on a lowrance HDS 9 with great results but the next boat will have the B75H as I do alot of bottom fishing so I want the increase in detail.

Some screen shots below of the B150 on the lowrance at various depths

shot038a (1).png

shot016.png

shot038.png

shot001A.png

• Like 1

I am mighty happy with their Active Imaging 3 in 1. I don't run that model SImrad rather I run Simrad's Lowrance Live but thats the included transducer with that unit and she paints a pretty pic down there. Short of the 1000 buck transducer that paints an actual live real time image I think the active image 3 in 1 is their highest end model that does all but live view. 

Unfortunately these days...fisherman have to also be a bit tech savvy to run this new stuff. It's way smarter than me.  Call Glenn at Florida Marine Tracks and it run it by him. He is extremely knowledgable and willing to share as is Justin at Russel Marine Products. I suspect both will recommend the Active Image 3 in 1. Pick ya up that FMT chip too and see how purdy it looks on a new unit.

Screenshot_2019-05-15_06.55.41.png

Screenshot_2019-05-21_07.34.43.png

Screenshot_2019-05-15_09.57.02.png

Screenshot_2019-05-21_06.26.38.png