Boating / fishing Bahia Honda with kids Feb 6-8

truenative

I'm bringing my redfisher to the keys for the first time this weekend , staying at the cabins in Bahia Honda with my family. I don't have his/fish finder hooked up yet so I'm going in a little blind. I'd like to give my girls (8&9) a chance at a little fishing while we are there. My wife loves areas like the Sandbar in islamorada.

I'm looking for any advice or recommendations if anyone has experience in the area. Many thanks.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:01 AM, truenative said:

I don't have his/fish finder hooked up yet so I'm going in a little blind

Not an area you want to wander around "blind"...

At least put an app on your phone for a GPS with a map....the waters around this area are beautiful; however, they go from 10 feet to zero in a heartbeat..the water is super clear and difficult to read at plane....so, be very careful when running....

Yes, I agree with the mod...stay away from the bridge....there are some mangroves out in the back that will keep the kids busy with snapper...but, without a GPS, it will be hard to find a good course...the intercoastal is well marked, so, this might be another way to just enjoy the day....but, be careful to not run aground with the kids on board, it can be a long night :)

I would PM the Outlaw...he camps down there all the time and might have a few honey holes he can provide some direction to get to without too much of a problem...

DC

• Like 1

Here are two local shops in big pine..  call them, jigs has been around a very long time.  They should both be close to where you are staying.  I ran around the backcountry for years without a transducer, but please please install the gps.  I’ve helped get many people back on track, even led the way a time or two for those who did have gps.  I used a handheld for several years as well, but a dash mounted large screen is your ticket.  Both Shops will have maps and great suggestions on where to go and even may get you to that sandbar your looking for.  Sorry, but you’re just a little east of my range.

https://www.lowerkeystackle.com

https://www.jigsbaitandtackle.com

Thanks guys,

I of course have paper charts and my cell phone GPS with e-charts. I have identified "Picnic Island" off big pine and  "Molasses Key" as some sandbar spots we might check out. They both seem to be pretty straightforward runs form Bahia Honda. I'll definitely check in with Jigs Tackle on Friday when we arrive and probably just poke around big pine and no name with the trolling motor to find some snapper for the girls. 

Been staying in those cabins for 16 years .

Know every sandbar from there to the Marquesses .

The North tip of Bahia Honda has a beautiful sandbar , but the last time I was there , they would not let you on it .

Think it was hurricane related .

Molasses Key is close and real nice .

The best bars are south .

Content Key

Tarpon Belly Key

Marvin Key

Mud Key

Boca Grande Key

Are all five star !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Been staying in those cabins for 16 years .

Know every sandbar from there to the Marquesses .

The North tip of Bahia Honda has a beautiful sandbar , but the last time I was there , they would not let you on it .

Think it was hurricane related .

Molasses Key is close and real nice .

The best bars are south .

Content Key

Tarpon Belly Key

Marvin Key

Mud Key

Boca Grande Key

Are all five star !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Speaking of bars at Big Pine....but not sand bars.....No Name Pub, Square Grouper and Coconuts are pretty good watering holes.