New TM ?

fin-addict

Been thinking. Did a recent post about getting a used TM. Now maybe spring for a new one. Topic has been beaten to death in the past but going to ask with more detail. What do you guys feel about MotorGuide vs minkota. Tiller or remote, shaft size for 2200v pathy and thrust. Want to keep a 24v setup as I now have. (MG VariMAX 75lb). see many with either 70 or 80 thrust. Want to keep cost as reasonable as possible. Do not have a PP so would you suggest a spot lock type unit. Info appreciated. 😀️Fin

The remote is pretty awesome. I can fish from anywhere on the boat and drive around. Also the spot lock is a very handy feature. Allows you to stop for a few min then move on. No more deploy the anchor and staying longer than you want to just because you do not want to hassle with pulling the anchor and setting it back out. 

I had a MK tiller (112  36v) the first couple years and it was fine. I now an Xi5 (105  36v) for last five years. The remote steer and the anchor lock are game changers. The Motor Guide stuff I believe is less expensive than the MK and now the Xi3 is available. I went Motor Guide because it was a better option back then. The transmission has been flawness. The newer Minn Kota I am told are very good now. Lots of options, but expensive. I have a 36 volt because the boat is 22 foot but others tell me a 24 volt is sufficient. 

IMO:  I would go remote over tiller, they are reliable and make for many easy options when fishing.  At least a 60" shaft. ( you could get by with a 54") I like Motor Guide because it has been so good for me, but I have no experience with newer MK. 

Upgraded electronics to lowrance ti2. Replaced my mk riptide w motorguide xi5 24v.  My old mk had a hand remote.  My new xi5 has a hand remote and we ran nema cable to the lowrance at the console.  Now when scouting for fish I can touch my down or side imaging screen to mark a spot deploy the tm and hit go to.....and it does. Stayed anchored over a spot for an hour last week and did not move much at all. I would never go back and imho the cost for the tm and nema is well worth it.  Do your diligence if you go this route about what tm likes your sonar...but you can buy conversion cables for the nema.  Really it’s No more anchors. I had a 80 lb 54 in mk before and have a 80 lb 60 in xi5 now. On a 2005 pf 2200. It’s all I need for the lakes I fish.  Oh and my power pole is not getting much use anymore.  It’s great stuff and there is a ton of info online. Good luck!

Minn Kota is the most popular unit out there as it was in the game 1st so users outnumber MG by a good margin hence you wil get way more recs for MK.  Having said that both MK & MG have issues.  I was in Master repair in stuart quite some time ago when I mentioned getting an Xi5 youd have thought I kicked him in the nuts lol he ranted how it wasnt worth a crap yada yada.... I pointed out how was MK any better as we are standing in your shop where you literally have 50-60 piled up waiting for repair??  He changed his tune then.  

Ive had 4 friends who were die hard MK fans that have switched to MG after some real horror stories with boards going out multiple times a year, 1 friend guides and had his MK turn on by itself wide open and almost threw out some elderly clients (this was the later gen models that MK swore they had the board issues worked out).   

Cards on the table all ive used is the Xi5... Main issue is if you operate in conditions of heavy spray or take some water over the bow the base will funnel water right into the area of the main board which is not protected very well so this will corrode connections and fail.  An ez fix apply heavy grease to the board connections put cover back on and run a bead of silicone between cover and base to keep water out.  The only other issue it has is the powder coating bubbling up and flaking off... they say this issue is fixed as they are using the same paint process used in the mercury outboards on the TM's.  

So choice is yours all I can say is be prepared for it to be in the shop at some point no matter which you choose.  Id get a year and a half to 2 years outta the MG but im on the water around 200 hrs a year and only had 2 instances where boards failed on the water over 6 years of owning them, most of my trips to the shop were for the paint bubbling issue (until the warranty went out then I just started painting it) regardless even with the issues they are worth the money and aggravation to have... so dont hesitate to get one

Thanks Chaser for your time and info. Have had my MG VariMAX 7 years, bought used. Only have had to change plugs 2x. Stopped working the other day. Changed out plugs still nada. Opened head not one hint of corrosion. Everything looked fine. Put head cover back on and it healed thyself. Working good for now. Really Leary  on both units due to reports and what you stated. Have to give it more thought. Like the mg but repair shop 45 min away. MK

shop 5 min. away. Really a no brained do to all the problems and regarding having a local shop.

• Like 1

I’ve had been running the same  motorguide greatwhite hand control bow mount for 16 YEARS! Got the new PF with the Xi5 and LOVE it , ( for now we will see how long it lasts) but for now the old dog has learned some new tricks  , networked to my HDS LIVE the auto pilot is so cool 

Some people are running the Rhodan doesnt seem like alot of them though.  Ive seen quite a few threads here and there with them having electrical issues as well... most say customer service is great some have had hiccups.  My thing is Rhodan and all their dealers are on the west coast.... long drive and shipping a TM would be a major PITA and expensive.  MG has the same GPS setup as Rhodan.... I bet they made a deal with them to use them