Rigging Hose Pictures

Derrick929

I’m trying to figure out how to keep my engine control hose from pinching on my MA 17.  I don’t like how it’s run now, it comes out on the side from the hole that can be seen in pic 1.

I really want to move the hose to the splash well but I’m afraid of a small crack I have that starts at the top of the current cut out.  My concern is if I add another hole it might weaken that piece enough that the crack may spread.  Picture #2 shows how I want to change the hose routing.

Can you share pictures of how you have your rigging hoses run so they do not get crimped when tilting or turning the motor?  I’m also trying to figure out the best routing for my new hydraulic steering they I have to run.  I need some ideas there too.

6FFD3608-B84E-40EA-94B9-1664556CFC03.jpeg

F0DB7227-3AA1-4620-BE02-79E1B4A92A20.jpeg

33 minutes ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

What is crushing the corrugated pipe? The cowling or the new steering system?

It’s just when the motor is trimmed all the way up.  The hose hits the bottom of the splash well and the angle is so sharp when in the up position it bends the hose really tight right where it enters the motor.

The steering and everything clears fine, it’s only when trimmed up all the way.  When at full lock it can make it worse but I consciously have to straighten it up when trimming the motor up all the way and when it’s turned at the same time.

4 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Lots of boats have their rigging tube similar to your second pic.  Have someone hold it there and then trim and check.  Most boats that have their tubes run in the splash well normally have a lot of setback so you would have to experiment and see. 

Yes there are, that’s what originally gave me the idea to improve the location.  I’ve tested it and it works pretty well.  Like you said it needs a little more setback but it’s better than from the side angle.  

My only fear is putting a second hole near the original hole and possibly risking a crack to run between the two holes if it weakens it too much.  If I could convince myself that wouldn’t happen, I would have already re-routed it.  That is my only concern. I already have a slight spider crack starting at the top of e existing hole and going up towards the deck so it’s running the other way.  I just hate to risk another one starting from the bottom of the hole and running to the new hole.

If you plan to cut a hole in the horizontal section it should not weaken the splash well. My concern would be having a hole in the bottom of the splash well for water to enter the bilge. I am not saying  not to do it but put some thought into making it as water tight as possible. 
As for the crack on the other hole. Do you plan to glass the hole over or just cover it with a plate?  Maybe a plate just a bit larger would allow you to cut the crack out.

• Like 1

My biggest concern is that one day.....most likely soon, you'll need to cut out that pie hole and insert a larger access plate...if you have it into the splash well...it wont work.

having the rigging tube bent a bit a full trim won't hurt it, the rigging tube is designed to allow the hoses to move back and forth inside it. As well, just lengthen the tube to allow it more flex.

I wouldn't go into the splashwell....I'll try and get a pic of mine today.

dc

2 hours ago, HoneyB said:

If you plan to cut a hole in the horizontal section it should not weaken the splash well. My concern would be having a hole in the bottom of the splash well for water to enter the bilge. I am not saying  not to do it but put some thought into making it as water tight as possible. 
As for the crack on the other hole. Do you plan to glass the hole over or just cover it with a plate?  Maybe a plate just a bit larger would allow you to cut the crack out.

I do plan to put a cover plate over the old hole and possibly reinforce the back with a plate.  I appreciate the comment, I don’t think the water tight concern is an issue.  I think with some 3M, I can keep it free of water leaks, there will be the fitting it screws into so there won’t be just an open hole there.

I think you just need a longer hose.  As guys have said, I'd be concerned about weakening the splash well "floor", and a longer hose mounted where the original was should alleviate the kinking.  Also forgive my pic with the dirty well, as you can see I have my Simple Green out to take care of that.

image.png.ff0377adfb5a0ac6df85e241a7f31314.png

I'm inclined to agree with Wanaflatsfish,.You will eventually want to replace the pie hole with a larger access. Here is something you could try before you cut another hole. Connect the rigging hose to something like a piece of PVC pipe. Heat the rigging hose with a heat gun on the end that connects to the outboard and try to bend it upwards, maybe to a 45 degree angle. It won't take much heat. Have a garden hose handy and cool the rigging hose while keeping the new angle. You might be able to get enough bend in the hose to eliminate your problem.

A longer piece of hose, as already mentioned might also help.

Send some pics when you figure it out.

1 hour ago, MasterAngler772 said:

OEM works great. Never had an issue 

FA1A40BE-3BC6-467D-963F-6743735DE43D.jpeg

Would you mind posting another picture from the top so I can see all of the hoses please?  I’m interested to see how’s yours are routed.  Maybe because you have the split hose but the hose I have isn’t very flexible.  It won’t make that sharp turn you have in yours.  I’m interested to see it though if you can post one.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:38 AM, Limitless said:

I think you just need a longer hose.  As guys have said, I'd be concerned about weakening the splash well "floor", and a longer hose mounted where the original was should alleviate the kinking. 

The longer hose actually makes it worse.  If I make it longer it sticks out far enough it rises on top of the deck.  This causes the angle to be even worse than when it goes down into the well itself.  Tough to understand probably, I should have snapped a few pictures.  May have to do that to explain.

I think I’ve decided to use the same hole and re-route my steering cables.  Worst case I can always change it later. I’m still debating and keep mocking up different hose options though.

3 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

There is no reason to put the steering cables inside the rigging tube.....I have mine on the outside of it.

dc

Agree, it just happens that where I was going to run the steering hoses exiting the bilge area would require me to use the old rigging hose hole and the fittings were going to be a tight squeeze.  The livewell sits right up against the splash well so it forces me to use the same side as the rigging tube.  I wanted to exit them right in front of the motor but I found out there is no room to work in that area.