Merc 300 pro xs on a pathfinder

Fisherman

There are people running more power than that on the 22, but with 4 strokes. The ones I know are running. 22 and 23 pitch Merc. Bravo FS (four stroke) series props. They have vent holes, which may benefit low end take off on a 2 stroke. Not sure what the power curve looks like on the Merc. XS. Just trying to get you in the ball park. I’d try a 22p in the above mentioned series or in XS series, which has additional vent holes. You should see low 60’s with that set up. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 3:08 PM, Fisherman said:

mine is a 22te 2009 Path. so I guess its a XL hull?

thanks for the advice. I am going to try the mirage (3 blades) 23 pitch to begin with.

I would like to go for a 4 blades . I am thinking a OFX4 could do the job as this was what I had before with my Yamaha 250.

Out of all of the props I've ran, the OFX/4 was the slowest, and by a large margin. 

The mirage prop may run great for you. Understand it was designed to run on heavy stern drive boats buried deep in the water. It will not provide the lift some other three blade props will. Some other props are designed to run a bit higher in the water which seems to work well on bay boats. 
with the excess power you should be able to run about any prop you want to. The question is do you want get the maximum performance from your set up.

What BradM said ^^

Brad has tried more different props on his rig than I have, on mine - and that translates to MANY!  The Bravo I seems to be the best performer for this type boat/motor combination.  The Bravo I also defies the general rule of thumb, where you would normally drop down 1" to 2" of pitch when switching from a 3-blade prop to a 4-blade prop.  However, with the price tag on the Merc Bravo I being as high as it is, I would have to also check out the new PowerTech version/clone of the Bravo I (part# BRV4).  Powertech also makes a 3-blade model based on the Bravo I blade geometry, that I would like to see as well (part# BRV3).

If those are not available yet, I have heard good things about the Powertech RKR3, based on the Evinrude Raker design.  I have two Evinrude Raker props which are similar to the Yamaha Pro Series.  Awesome performing props!

• Thanks 1

I am an old mercury guy now running an sho. Mot of my experience is with mercury branded props. My boat previously had a Powertech prop ofx3... horrible prop for my boat. If we are now talking affordable rather than the best prop check out Mercury Enertia. It is a fast prop with big blades that feels much like the three blade tempest plus. I have a 22 pitch that runs pretty well on my boat. The tempest plus is probably the best three blade prop for lift and speed. I have run it and have a buddy that has good experience running tempest plus 21 pitch on his 23 key west with 250 sho. The bravo 1 does everything the tempest plus does but a little better. And yes it is the only four blade that recommends going up one inch in pitch when coming from other three blades. 
as for the knock off bravo props made by other company.... I have not run one so I can’t say if they are as good. But when you copy the best in class you are bound to get close. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 12:04 PM, geeviam said:

What BradM said ^^

Brad has tried more different props on his rig than I have, on mine - and that translates to MANY!  The Bravo I seems to be the best performer for this type boat/motor combination.  The Bravo I also defies the general rule of thumb, where you would normally drop down 1" to 2" of pitch when switching from a 3-blade prop to a 4-blade prop.  However, with the price tag on the Merc Bravo I being as high as it is, I would have to also check out the new PowerTech version/clone of the Bravo I (part# BRV4).  Powertech also makes a 3-blade model based on the Bravo I blade geometry, that I would like to see as well (part# BRV3).

If those are not available yet, I have heard good things about the Powertech RKR3, based on the Evinrude Raker design.  I have two Evinrude Raker props which are similar to the Yamaha Pro Series.  Awesome performing props!

Hi, my name is Brad and.... It’s BAD! Don’t let ‘ol HoneyB up there fool you, the USPS has shipped more props between the two of us than anyone! 

I would love to run that new PowerTech for comparison. I’ve reached out on their Facebook page but never heard back. I don’t want to knock any manufacturer, because they’re all good or even great for someone or some set up. Years ago with two stroke power, lighter hulls and less electronics and gear, you couldn’t beat a PowerTech wheel on a Yamaha 2 stroke powered Pathfinder. The Bravo series props tote the load well and are great out of the box options. They do have thinner blades and for that reason I don’t run them in lab or pro finish which has an even thinner blade. 

Gee, I found a 26p close by that a friend has. I hope to report back before it gets too dang hot. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Ok I’ve been outed ... my name is Wayne and one a prop junkie . 🤪

Hi, my name is Gary and....  😜

If you have all prop dealers, and prop tuning shops addresses, within a 750 mile radius, in your UPS shipping contact list - you MIGHT be a prop junkie!