22t w/ Sho 250 overheating

Waterman18

I have a 22 pathfinder with a Yamaha 250 show and jackplate  , last two trips only at the end ,on the way back in when I punched it and jacked and trimmed it up a little it overheated.It’s turning about 5500 rpm and doing 50 mph  Had boat for three years never had the issue before, could actually jack it up higher and no problem. It runs fine the whole day  wondering why now when I accelerate and trim it does it?

Whens the last time the water pump and cooling system components (pressure control valve, thermostat etc) were checked?   Have you checked the screens on the intake to make sure theres no blockage?  Are you sure that "trimming" had anything to do with it?  Maybe run it the same way without trimming and see if it OH's

• Like 1

Water pump replaced 100 or so hours ago, oil 50 hours.

water pressure ga not working so can’t check. My alarm doesn’t work but motor does shut down. Checked pee hole and water was pretty hot so I am assuming it was overheated. Started back up fine , ran it trimmed down 1/4 mile no problem. I’ll remove screen and see if any debris is there. I’ve been able to jack this up and get up to 5800 and 54 mph with no problem before. I’m gonna take it back out Monday and some more testing. 

You are a brave man going to run your motor knowing it is running hot without a warning beeper. 
 You are obviously starving for water. If the screen is clean you either need an impeller or you have thermostat issues. Personally I would be taking it to the shop not to run test. If it ran hot it will run hot again. 

Mine will do that as well when running full speed with the Jack plate up to high. I believe the tunnel creates an air pocket and the low water pick up does not get enough water. Do a search on the internet pretty common problem. Mine did it with only 25 hours several times. Alarm will sound way before anything happens. Mine never overheated.  

No poppet on the four strokes. I like Headhunter had to replace my thermostats. Took them out and boiled some water on the grill side burner. One would open ok the other only half way. That caused overheat problems at trim and jack plate settings that were fine before. If I run full throttle and the jack plate is 4 inches up or higher it does not take long, maybe less that 5 minutes for it to go into limp mode and drop the rpm to under 2500.  If your water pump has been replaced then check both thermostats. If they test good then you may just need to keep the jack plate below that setting at full throttle. I  have found that my best speed and or efficiency comes when my jack plate is below 3 inches. I only run my motor up past 3.5 inches when i need to get through a shallow spot or find myself in a tight spot. Hope this Helps.