Pathfinder polyethylene fuel tanks?

HarleyG8r

I had always ***umed my 2005 22 TE had an aluminum fuel tank, but in flipping through one of the owner's manuals on the site here, I saw that the factory was installing polyethylene tanks in boats made around that time. Looked at a newer manual, and that one said aluminum.

What years and models used what tanks? Anyone ever had any issues with a poly tank?

I had a poly tank in my last bay boat, bought new in 2000. Historically, they do emit a gasoline smell and mine did also. I researched it a few years ago and found that some chemicals in gasoline to leach through the tank. So, lots of folks thought they had a leak when it was just a harmless smell. My tank lasted 14 years without a problem. Sold the boat to a friend in 2013 and he's never had a problem.

We used 1,000 gal. poly tanks in our fire trucks for years and had very few problems. But they were carrying water, not gasoline. After my experience with poly tanks, I would not be overly concerned about there integrity.

I've never noticed a gas smell, and I'm not to worried about it. Just curious, as from what I've seen, most boats that size have aluminum tanks. I do know that poly, by it's nature, will expand and contract more. Long as the tank and the hull it's installed in is engineered with those properties in mind, I'm sure it's not an issue.

I may have miss-spoke. It's not necessarily a gasoline smell, but a chemical smell that some owners mistake for gasoline. The only problem I had with my tank, if you consider this a problem, was the fact that it slumped in the center (top) because it was so big (80 gal.) which created a place for water to accumulate. I'd open the access door every couple of months and found an accumulation of dust, dirt and evidence that water had dried in the low area on top of the tank.

I may have miss-spoke. It's not necessarily a gasoline smell, but a chemical smell that some owners mistake for gasoline. The only problem I had with my tank, if you consider this a problem, was the fact that it slumped in the center (top) because it was so big (80 gal.) which created a place for water to accumulate. I'd open the access door every couple of months and found an accumulation of dust, dirt and evidence that water had dried in the low area on top of the tank.

i had the same problem with my 02-2200v. i cut a 4"x10" hole in the top of the tank and installed 2 little aluminum pillers or columns in the tank to make the top sort of domed. i made a flanged patch/access door for future access. with all the ethanol problems i've had, i can open the tank and clean it once a year. PITA, but a necessity for me.

i had the same problem with my 02-2200v. i cut a 4"x10" hole in the top of the tank and installed 2 little aluminum pillers or columns in the tank to make the top sort of domed. i made a flanged patch/access door for future access. with all the ethanol problems i've had, i can open the tank and clean it once a year. PITA, but a necessity for me.

You did what???? Man, that takes guts to cut a hole in the top of your fuel tank. What product did you use to make the patch and how did you secure the patch to the tank?

You did what???? Man, that takes guts to cut a hole in the top of your fuel tank. What product did you use to make the patch and how did you secure the patch to the tank?

i made 2 ss flanges and used cork gaskets inside and out with 20 ss 1/4" bolts. when tightened up the bolts squeeze the cork gaskets down real good. it was either that or cut the tank out of the floor. after weighing both jobs, cutting the hole wasn't so daunting. i'll see if i can find some pics. thought i posted all that on here about a year ago.

So if the top is falling in, does that mean there are no baffles in the poly tank? Would think a baffle would serve 2 purposes. 1st as a baffle, 2nd as support for the tank.

you'd think, but no baffle. when the water accumulates on top of the tank, it submerges the sending unit and causes all kinds of problems with the fuel gauge. in my case i also created a problem of my own by putting my trolling motor batteries in the console. when in really rough seas, the battery acid leaks out and also leaks down to the top of the tank. i built a sump around the batteries for a quick fix, but will up grade to gel batteries this year.

Archived