2500 OEM trolling motor plug?

FINCHASER

4 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Are these boats still coming with the Marinco socket?  Working on getting some things together so need to know which make plug to get thanks

My ‘18 came with one, so I’d guess yes. I threw it in the trash before I ever fished it and replaced it with a Battery Tender plug. 

They are still using them, but I agree that the Battery Tender plug is the best. I have a new 2500 scheduled to go in the mold today and I have asked the dealer to swap out the Marinco with Battery Tender, but there may be and issue with it fitting in the anchor locker where the standard plug fits.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RCW said:

They are still using them, but I agree that the Battery Tender plug is the best. I have a new 2500 scheduled to go in the mold today and I have asked the dealer to swap out the Marinco with Battery Tender, but there may be and issue with it fitting in the anchor locker where the standard plug fits.

Get a thin piece of Aluminum plate and fit it to the bottom of the TM mounting screws. Use this as the mount for the Battery Tender plug. I can't get a photo of mine now but it's easy enough to do. 

• Like 1

Wait until you have a fire under the anchor locker hatch when your on the bow fishing, you'll change your drawers and then the plug. Before the Battery Tender plug came out, I replaced the Marinco unit every year, just like any other maintenance item. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 11:03 PM, FINCHASER said:

Thanks.  Never had an issue with the marinco and my boat / TM gets used more than 90% out there.  I always wipe the interior connections with some grease when new.... pull it apart every few seasons to check it and its always been good.

Same here Fin, had them on my previous HPXs without issues BUT they also stayed dry in the forward compartment. I did change to the Battery Tender on this boat because there is no gutter on the anchor locker of the 2500, yeah I know. The factory placement on the Marinco plug (2018 anyway) is on the forward lip of the anchor locker and with no gutter water naturally flows right down the seam in the deck onto the plug. Just something to think about. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you don’t remove the trolling motor, why have a plug. My boat when I bought it was set up  with an angle of fiberglass in the anchor locker with two power studs with the wire bolted on with ring terminals. It is tucked up under the side of the anchor locker and seems to be out of the elements. I actually just unhooked the wires this week to take my old motor in for service as it doesn’t seem to be running right. But it has been on the boat for the 8 years I owned the boat and was already older when I bought the boat used. There was very little corrosion at all. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JPizzle said:

If you don’t remove the trolling motor, why have a plug. My boat when I bought it was set up  with an angle of fiberglass in the anchor locker with two power studs with the wire bolted on with ring terminals. It is tucked up under the side of the anchor locker and seems to be out of the elements. I actually just unhooked the wires this week to take my old motor in for service as it doesn’t seem to be running right. But it has been on the boat for the 8 years I owned the boat and was already older when I bought the boat used. There was very little corrosion at all. 

ditto. haven't had a plug in years, but my boat hangs in slings behind my house. different situation when on a trailer or not kept at the house.

Picked up my new sled on Friday. The battery tender plug was on back order so I didn't get it changed out. However, MBG is using a new 80 amp plug that seems to be way above the standard plug they were using. I may give it a while to see how it works before changing it out.

1 minute ago, RCW said:

Picked up my new sled on Friday. The battery tender plug was on back order so I didn't get it changed out. However, MBG is using a new 80 amp plug that seems to be way above the standard plug they were using. I may give it a while to see how it works before changing it out.

Picture????

3 hours ago, RCW said:

X2 on the pic

Also.... did it come with the plug for the trolling motor side too?  I just picked up the marinco to be ready when my boat gets here.... hoping i dont have to track down a different plug this late in the game

Throw away all of those plugs and use a Anderson connector. Been using them for years. They are the standard used on industrial trucks for battery connections. High current, very rugged, simple in line connection, no mounting required. And about 10 bucks. 

Haven't used this site but they have a good explanation of the connectors. 

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/anderson-connectors-sb50

On 4/14/2020 at 9:45 PM, JPizzle said:

I removed the quick remove plate under my trolling motor, bolted it straight to the deck, and hard wired it straight to the breaker.  It's not like it's going to cost me much time to cut the wire and re-connect if if I ever need to.  I believe the entire quick removal thing had more to do with the days where trolling motor shafts would break so often that the Pros would carry multiple trolling motors to swap them out when they broke. With the trolling motor mounted straight to the deck, theft sitting in a hotel parking lot, etc, is a lot less of a worry and the wiring being simpler is a good deal.  I also tidied up the wiring by putting a wire hood directly on the deck so the wire isn't exposed.

One day, somebody is going to start building boats with a trolling motor that pops out beneath the bow like airplane landing gear and we won't have this ugly obstruction on our decks anymore.

48289086936_ccde15a6df_z.jpg

2 hours ago, RCW said:

I got busy and forgot all about this.

plug 3.jpg

plug 2.jpg

plug.jpg

I do not think you will have any problem with that one, thats a huge upgrade from the Marinco I have been used to seeing.  West Marine advertises them as 70 amp up to 48 volts and can use 6 and 8 gauge with not modifications. Nice alternative to the Battery Tender for 50 bucks.