Seastar helm clicking

Shallowminded6

Mine was doing the same after my mechanic added fluid. Had to bleed 5 times in three days with a power bleeder. After each bleed he let it sit for a day and it sort of bled itself. Know it has been fine for 5 month approx. have two stations. Part of the problem, was the bleeder hose that I asked him to check out. Was not sealing good.

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:56 PM, Shallowminded6 said:

My seastar helm is clicking while turning right. Tried bleeding it. No avail. Any ideas as to what could be causing it?

92E6B179-C982-45BF-84C2-A04133A825BF.MOV 13.93 MB · 2 downloads

Does the motor swivel as usual when you turn the steering wheel? Or, are you getting sporadic movement from the motor when you turn the wheel? 

21 hours ago, jh141 said:

Did you figure  out what was wrong or find a fix?

Found a fix, bought a new one haha. The boat was getting the motor hung at a shop 2hrs away from me, so I couldnt be there to work on it. Have the old one still, gna either fix and sell or sell discounted to someone that wants to fix it. It made the clicking noise for a long time(3-4yrs) and never had any issues working. Just never that loud. 

3 minutes ago, Shallowminded6 said:

Found a fix, bought a new one haha. The boat was getting the motor hung at a shop 2hrs away from me, so I couldnt be there to work on it. Have the old one still, gna either fix and sell or sell discounted to someone that wants to fix it. It made the clicking noise for a long time(3-4yrs) and never had any issues working. Just never that loud. 

Good decision....I had a helm issue on my Pathy that I kept putting off...same thing, click click click....almost laid it up on an oysterbar in a sharp turn in Chokoloskee one afternoon on the way home....errrrr....turn right ? nothing happens?  slam on the breaks?  Yep, almost, glad I was going slow as I normally do in the bars.....next day, bought a new one, self installed, took about 2 hours, lots of bads words said, cracked knuckles and bleeding fingers and a few adult beverages afterwards.

DC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had some issues a few years ago.  Heard a few small pops then a loud one which resulted in loss of steering.
In a last ditch effort I took it apart, cleaned it, and replaced the dry rotted o ring at the fill cap that allowed some water to enter.  Been working flawlessly for the last 3 years.  I followed this thread process

https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/116181-teleflex-steering.html#b

• 2 years later...

Realize the thread is 2 years old but thought I would add something here. Just had an authorized Seastar dealer change my 2021 RF 18 from Baystar to SeaStar helm, hoses and cylinder. During my first run noticed a noise in the helm when turning from hard over to port to hard to starboard. This same noise present when motor tilted all the way up and moving from lock to lock on steering wheel when motor almost over to the stops. Motor oscillates slightly back and forth in time with slight steering wheel movement and clicking/chattering noise. Took it back to dealer. His call to Teleflex/Seastar resulted in their tech experts saying we need to install an anti-chatter valve kit between helm and cylinder. Says it is very rare this is required. I wonder if the noise in the original post is the same. At any rate will report back once the kit is installed. Would appear that when turning hard to starboard the RH prop is helping to pull the back end of the motor around and moving fluid through the helm a little faster than the axial pump and causing the internals to chatter. Would be great to hear if anyone else has ever installed this anti-chatter device.

1 hour ago, Rvan said:

Realize the thread is 2 years old but thought I would add something here. Just had an authorized Seastar dealer change my 2021 RF 18 from Baystar to SeaStar helm, hoses and cylinder. During my first run noticed a noise in the helm when turning from hard over to port to hard to starboard. This same noise present when motor tilted all the way up and moving from lock to lock on steering wheel when motor almost over to the stops. Motor oscillates slightly back and forth in time with slight steering wheel movement and clicking/chattering noise. Took it back to dealer. His call to Teleflex/Seastar resulted in their tech experts saying we need to install an anti-chatter valve kit between helm and cylinder. Says it is very rare this is required. I wonder if the noise in the original post is the same. At any rate will report back once the kit is installed. Would appear that when turning hard to starboard the RH prop is helping to pull the back end of the motor around and moving fluid through the helm a little faster than the axial pump and causing the internals to chatter. Would be great to hear if anyone else has ever installed this anti-chatter device.

Mine was on a motor that was a 2000. Not sure the year of the helm etc. so it is possible but doubtful. Hope yours is an easy fix

The clicking sound is familiar. My original Seastar helm & the 2018 replacement helm both click when turning right while running but not all the time. It does not seem to affect performance. I’ve bled & replaced fluid a few times with no change. No mechanic seems to be able to explain why the noise happens only sometimes. 

• 8 months later...
On 4/14/2022 at 5:39 PM, Rvan said:

Did the anti-chatter device work?  I have a loud clicking/ratcheting noise when turning to starboard starting at 4000 RPMs. Central Marine replaced helm and cylinder but same noise persisted. New mechanic thinks hoses might have a bend in them?