Bob's Jackplate Set Back

AntonRx

Set back changes the balance of your boat the further back you move that heavy motor by adding set back the lighter the bow is and heavier the transom becomes . Changing setback / changing the balance of the boat changes the ride. A boat that has problems with the bow riding low can benefit from more set back . If you want to run as shallow as possible setback can increase the boats draft . It’s all about balance . Sometimes it’s a major advantage if a lighter bow is needed to improve ride and sometimes it’s a ride killer if the boat was balanced well before the setback you could make the boat not handle well it could start to porpoise at low speeds and draw more water because the back drops low in the water with a heavy back half . A boat balanced correct for the way you use it is important to ride , handle, draft, speed .  Don’t get me wrong I am not a anti jackplate person I just know some boats preform better with them and some do not it’s all about balance , set up , and personal preferences .  Joe R 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AntonRx said:

Afternoon! What's the recommended setback for my 2007 2000V with a Suzuki 140 on it? Also, how are the all-in-ones holding up? Almost feel like its a good thing having the hydraulic motor in the boat, covered from the elements.

What Joe R said ^^.  I think you will upset the balance of the boat, and lose prop grip, with the setback and added motor height that is built into the jack plate (1.5" to 2" additional height).  I can honestly say that, I don't think any boat model ever made by MBG, under 23 feet long (with the exception of the Redfisher 21), is designed for the addition of a stock jack plate, without some sort of modification (i.e. height-adjustable-spacer, wedge, etc.).  However, that said, if I had your boat, and I was determined to add a jack plate, I would get a Bob's 4" Standard Jack Plate, with remote pump inside the boat, mounted to a CMC 2.5" Setback Spacer part # 65213 at the lowest height adjustment (top hole, 1 1/2" lower motor height), to get the prop down as low as possible, into cleaner water with less cavitation.  Again, like Joe R said... there is still that possibility of changing the balance and stability of the boat when you move the motor further back, and change the center of gravity.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/cmc-2-1-2-static-set-back-plate-65213.html

THmarine_CMC_65213-static-setback-jack-plate.jpg

THmarine_CMC_65213-static-setback-jack-plate2.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have a friend that owns a early 2000 20 pathfinder. He recently reported with a 150 zuke. Based on the things I have heard on  the setback on the 20’s I told him he should consider taking it off. 
He left it jack plate on and it runs great. The boats rides nice at all speeds and there is never water backing up on the deck . 
His setback is huge. Probably 10 inches. I would not go that big but if you want a jackplate I would not say it’s going to have a negative impact on your boat. 

3 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I have a friend that owns a early 2000 20 pathfinder. He recently reported with a 150 zuke. Based on the things I have heard on  the setback on the 20’s I told him he should consider taking it off. 
He left it jack plate on and it runs great. The boats rides nice at all speeds and there is never water backing up on the deck . 
His setback is huge. Probably 10 inches. I would not go that big but if you want a jackplate I would not say it’s going to have a negative impact on your boat. 

The more motor setback you add with a stock jack plate, the better the chance that the prop will get cleaner water rising up from the keel, with less cavitation, especially at high speed.  That's why most modern high speed bass boats have a 10", 12", or even a 14" setback jack plate installed.  However, those bass boats also have a lifting pad on the keel, and some other special sauce designed into the bottom of the hull, with which they can run a large/heavy motor with plenty of positive trim, and the boat is as stable as a rock at all speeds, and most don't even have trim tabs installed on their boat!  Those bass boats also have a good amount of stern squat with the boat at rest, but the bass guys don't care about draft where they usually fish.  Having all that carpet and sparkley metal flake finish is way more important, LOL!

HoneyB, I don't doubt that your friend is happy with the way his boat performs with that setup.  A 511 LB. Suzuki 150 on a 10" jack plate probably drops the stern down enough and places the prop low enough into the water stream, to maintain good grip without much slip at all.  I don't think he would see results as good if he had installed a stock 6" jack plate.  The setup I mentioned in my previous post would provide a 6.5" setback and still get the prop 1.5" lower and into cleaner water, with less prop slip.  It goes without saying, that all of these PF 2000v add-ons we're talking about, require trim tabs to be installed and deployed.