Proper VHF recommendations

Paintman77

Need a little help from you guys/gals I have recently made the switch from poling skiffs to my 2004 2200v.  I'm getting a little more familiar with the nearshore waters here in SC, but I'm realizing I'm lacking some safety features.  Other than creating a ditch bag with EPIRB I need a radio that will be sufficient for up to 15 miles out....or so.  I don't currently have a T-Top but I am considering one.  With that being said what size antenna would I need what brand/type of radio.  I'm very uneducated when it comes to VHF, I've  never needed one poling a 6" grass flat.  Please Help...

Thanks in Advance,

Gray

I will take a stab at this. Standard brand radios have been the “standard” for years. I do not think there is a lot of difference in radios as far as performance. 

The antenna and location of it is the key. Vhf is line of site. Tip of your antenna has to be able to see the tip of my antenna to talk or listen to me. At 15 miles out you do not need a lot of antenna. The further you go out .. the taller your antenna would need to be. Height is might I have heard it said. You need to research VHF communication there is a lot of information out there. 
I would recommend Shakespeare 4 foot little giant antenna. You can mount it on the center console if you do not have a t top and it is a great stick. Another option would be just getting the cheaper metal whip. Also easy to mount around the console but will whip around in the waves and even when you are trailering.  

I have run both 4’ and 8’ antennas on t-tops. The distance I run both reach out the same. Punta Gorda to Cape Coral from my dock. 20+ miles offshore. I like Shakespeare,  standard, nothing fancy. All the big name manuf have good units. All about equal. It all depends on the features you like and the looks.

55 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

I will take a stab at this. Standard brand radios have been the “standard” for years. I do not think there is a lot of difference in radios as far as performance. 

The antenna and location of it is the key. Vhf is line of site. Tip of your antenna has to be able to see the tip of my antenna to talk or listen to me. At 15 miles out you do not need a lot of antenna. The further you go out .. the taller your antenna would need to be. Height is might I have heard it said. You need to research VHF communication there is a lot of information out there. 
I would recommend Shakespeare 4 foot little giant antenna. You can mount it on the center console if you do not have a t top and it is a great stick. Another option would be just getting the cheaper metal whip. Also easy to mount around the console but will whip around in the waves and even when you are trailering.  

Agree on the 4' antenna. I have the 5401-XT Shakespeare, because the black matches the black T-top cover, black outriggers, etc.  and it works very good. It's mounted on my T-top and  I've never had an issue with it not covering distances. When folded down it's not hanging past the top and in the way. Oh yeah, the 5400-XT is white. Good luck