Transducer Location / Redfisher 18

TX Flats Fisher

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 7:51 AM, Wizumz said:

I'm also very interested, I just picked up the same unit with the SideView and I plan on mounting it next to the right trim tab where my old transducer was... but I fear I'll get too much interference from the outboard's lower unit as it's not on a bracket.

This is where I mounted mine. Seems to be working well. Bought the stern saver to mount it to. 

A9B85F63-50CB-44E7-A043-189537A943AD.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 12:22 PM, Shallowminded6 said:

This is where I mounted mine. Seems to be working well. Bought the stern saver to mount it to. 

A9B85F63-50CB-44E7-A043-189537A943AD.jpeg

Same spot I have mine but I'm getting a lot of interference with the engine out the port side.  Next time I'm out I'm going to play with the trim on the motor, should help a bit.

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2021 at 10:46 AM, Shallowminded6 said:

I read that its not preferred to install on port side due to prop wash. Might be part of your problem

It's not on the port side, it's installed on the starboard side, just like your image.  I'm getting interference from the engine looking out the port side of the ducer, I didn't word that properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to highjack.  I love the idea of the stern saver.  I ordered one that claimed you can mount large side scan transducers to it.  Trouble is, this thing is huge, bigger than your hand!  I have the simrad total-scan transducer which I guess really isn't that big.  Do I need the standard size stern saver? Going on an 18 light tackle in the same spot as the picture above.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/18/2022 at 6:38 PM, SaltySouth said:

Sorry to highjack.  I love the idea of the stern saver.  I ordered one that claimed you can mount large side scan transducers to it.  Trouble is, this thing is huge, bigger than your hand!  I have the simrad total-scan transducer which I guess really isn't that big.  Do I need the standard size stern saver? Going on an 18 light tackle in the same spot as the picture above.

Curious, what'd you end up doing?

I saw someone on the board mount their ducer in the pocket, just to the right of the drain hole, considering relocating mine there.

• 1 month later...

Wizums, I copied Shallowminded6 and put the stern saver just left of the starboard trim tab. I bought the large stern saver but it was just too big.  I had to trim it, round it, and route it to get it to fit right.  I ran the ducer cable into the splashwell and into the rigging tube with the shift cables and harness.