2017 Pathfinder 2400 TRS - Battery Wiring Question

Hello all,

Well I’ve searched on several topics and had 110 pages come up on ‘battery, diagram, wiring’ so I thought I’d just throw a couple new questions out there.  I’ll first describe my setup.  4 batteries: 1 crank/house, 3 trolling.  All group 27, flooded, 2 purchased within 6 months, 2 are 2 days old.   Tested all of them with a load and they are testing good.  There are 2 power distributors on the outside of the console 1) Main power/Emergency Crank 2) Trolling motor on/off.  I have the ProMariner ProTrounament 4 bank charger.  This is the console where you get to the batteries from the front of the boat.  

The problem:  I’m getting an error on battery 1 on the charger.  With the ProMariner I don’t think any battery will charge/trickle if there’s an error.  How can I test to see which is battery 1 in the charging bank?  The reason I ask is because with the emergency cranking system at least 1 if not all 4 of the batteries are connected.  I’ve figured out where bank 4 is because I took one of the battery charger leads off and the corresponding bank 4 went blank on the charger.  However when I take the next charger lead off for the next battery in the line I’m showing two banks on the charger going blank.  On the battery that is showing two blank banks however there is a jumper and I’m assuming it’s for the emergency cranking.  

I’ve done a lot of wiring of boats before but haven’t used this specific emergency cranking system.  There are so many battery lines in this console that I’m having difficulty tracing them.  And now that I’m thoroughly confused does anyone have a wiring diagram for this setup?  Even an understanding of how that emergency crank system works and where it draw the ‘emergency’ power from would be helpful.

I know this was a long question and thank you all in advance for any help!

Chris

I would suspect that your emergency cranking is pulling 12 volts out of the 36 volt pack. You can pull positive and negative off a single battery for 12 volts to start the engine. 

as for finding out which is battery position # 1.  You may have to just chase the wires down. If the wires are sealed coming out of the charger you can not preform Continuity test on the wire. 

Be careful of pulling a charge off of any battery. Not true.

Most boats are wired with a common ground  theory. As such you can pull 12 volts from the trolling motor battery that provides the ground to the trolling motor.

When the 3 trolling motor batteries are in series you start at the free ground that goes to the trolling motor its pos. is 12 volts, keep ground and move to the next pos. and you get 24 volts, the next pos. is 36 volts.

• 1 month later...