Good Day April 18

Mike (InTheSlot12) launched his 18' HPX before light and we ran south.  Fished the very low incoming tide around some creek mouths, oyster bars and potholes in one of the rivers.  Not too much luck there--couple of small snook, a white trout, and a red.  Headed south, fished the beaches for snook for a while.  That was slow--one snook--until Mike hooked a large ray!  Headed into a river to scout the bars and small mangrove islands, but the water was really high so we headed up river to fish the backcountry.  That was the best decision we made all day!  We fished a long cut off of one of the backcountry bays and found plenty of bait, big reds, sharks, rays, huge schools of jacks busting bait!  It was on fire!  We figured the snook were in the lower water column cleaning up after the jacks.  Plenty of smaller snook, a few reds,  Moved to the opposite end of the cut as the water was falling, staked out and it was game on!  Snook after snook with a few reds sight fished, mixed in with a sawfish (we saw six in that area--never seen more than one in one spot).  Most of the fish were caught on soft plastics (zMan and Slayer Lures, GULP! Swimming Mullets) or MiroLure Catch 2000 (I was tossing the Jr. version in the "woody woodpecker" color scheme...deadly on snook at this time of year). Here are a few pics from the day.  Tight lines everybody and be safe and well.  

9CB48D87-A7E0-46C5-A9A0-DD619E5B7501_1_201_a.jpeg

CD313A82-F9DB-4F57-872C-1A87ECEF9A40_1_201_a.jpeg

336C7710-DE14-47F2-A9EB-3C867F94DEA4_1_201_a.jpeg

3F4C0626-0003-4B23-B58D-FEAC44EDE130.jpeg

45F89B2B-6516-4A4E-A10D-6CB0DB0081FA.jpeg

CA1D59B4-EEBA-46A2-BA1E-3F8CE6AC4D20.heic 289DE29B-40AF-491F-98BA-9A4F27231F28.heic

• Like 1

Nice Dave, I am with Coto. I just can not deal with the crowd. Especially with my 22 ft. bay boat. You must get there @ 5:00 am.  I am guessing that just about the time the Main entrance of ENP opens back up we will be in the hot buggy summer and I will be as before one of the few that love to fish the back country in the summer time.  Keep the reports coming, I am getting my fix through you!!!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, conocean said:

Nice day on the water!

April 13-17th was a fantastic week of fishing on the beaches and in the backcountry. Hardly any boats on the water those days.

Admittedly, I had almost as much fun watching the ramp follies at CiP on the 18th!! O.o xD 

I got the itch to come over....I'll be at the ramp by 0630....I'll be self medicating with a few valiums to prepare myself for the ramp follies...

Just got to be patient and enjoy the day....been off the water for over a month...I just can't keep waxing the boat every weekend :)

dc

CiP might increase to $25 soon too. OrA & CiP don’t have to allow anyone from the public to launch at their ramps. They could shut them down for resident & guest use only. $25 is cheap to access world class fishing IMO. 

People can always save a few bucks & launch from Glades City then see how much fun that is on a negative 1’ low tide during the winter when the wind blows out of the north @ 20-25knots! 🥳 

Fished again yesterday.  Wind was honking, but we were in the backcountry.  Another 50+ fish day with tons of smallish snook (plus 3-4 lower slot size), a few nice reds including one that was probably 32"+ lost at boat side (suspect my buddy's leader was abraded from snook and he had not replaced it), few snapper, chunky jew fish.  I lost a really big snook when she ran back into the mangroves.  I opened the bail, got the boat straight and return to the fight but she broke me off.  Should have gotten out of the boat and untangled her so I could resume the fight!  Also witnessed this--first suspected frolicking dolphin, then I thought I saw a big fin and figured it might be a huge jew fish.  I finally figured out it was two manatee either XXXXING or fighting!   Go figure.  Also spotted another saw fish but thankfully did not hook up.  

• Like 1