Help reinstalling deck hardware

Fish Food

I have noticed some rust from crevice corrosion and wanted to remedy the situation.

My questions are...

1) I noticed that there was no 5200 on the threads of the bolt area, just on the gelcoat and a bit on the inside by the nuts, this made removing the hardware relatively easy. Is this how I should reinstall this hardware?

2) As you can see from the pictures, on the gelcoat there are some small chips. I noticed that the installation did not include chamfering the holes. Is it ok to do this to prevent further chipping of gelcoat or does this install require not to chamfer?

Thanks!

IMG_2375_zpsxzbyv2w5.jpgIMG_2376_zps6jgqbyjr.jpgIMG_2377_zpsdzsz7eld.jpgIMG_2378_zpskoc6cbix.jpgIMG_2379_zpsd3ofmkeb.jpg

All you need to put on that is sealant NOT an adhesive. 4200 wouldn't be a bad choice but there is other stuff out there with less adhesive properties, so use what ever you want but Id definitely stay away from 5200.

You are never going to stop rust in this particular area.... hit it every few months with some hull cleaner or other rust remover and a tooth brush to keep it clean.

My experience with this type of problem is that you can never stop the rust from returning on the S/S hardware. You can clean it up and apply "Ospho" to stop the rust, but eventually it will return. Might want to just by new hardware.

The rust in the cracks of the gel-coat is another problem area. You can use something like "Snow-Bowl" to remove most of the rust, but you just can't get all the rust, so it will eventually show-up again. Looking back at your pics, the rust has not really transitioned into the gel-coat cracks, so maybe that won't be a further problem for you.

I would chamfer the holes to prevent further cracking. Use an adhesive caulk like 4200 or Boat-Life. Tape the area off and apply ample caulk to the outside and the holes and inside (between the aluminum backing and the fibergl***). Use a big S/S washer and nylon lock-nut to secure. No caulking necessary on the threads, except the portion inside the hole.

Archived