Stealth charger... anyone running it?

FINCHASER

I am going to be putting the pro pack on the LT I am working on. They sent me a price list. The pro pac with includes ac and dc charging, as well as a voltage gauge is $550. He said they take 5-10 business days from order to when they are shipped because he makes them only when an order is submitted.

Love mine. Depends on how you fish though is my thought. If on the troll for long periods with big engine runs in-between you won't know how you lived without it. If you do little trolling or short trolls likely it is not worth it. I run both the AC and DC but it is rare to need the AC charger depending on the run back to the ramp. Awesome tool for tournament conditions.

bigsnook thanks for price info

triplec- That's what im thinking (how I fish) depending on time of year there are times when I spend a lot of time on the troller (an hour or 2) and short runs of 1-5 miles between spots. Other times Im on the troller less time and a lot more runs.

The way im thinking even if im not running the big motor the ideal length of time still should provide and increase in my battery voltage over not having it, right?

Minn kota also makes a charger that is cheaper. Can't compare the two.

Before any of that, are you having issues with running out of juice? I can fish sun up to sun down on the trolling motor all day and not run out of battery, even when fishing in lily pads and heavy cover. You may want to check your batteries and most obvious make sure you have a good enough troller. High speed for longer periods kills trolling motor battery life

I may be wrong , but I think for every 10 minutes your main is over 1500 RPM is equal to one hour on the plug .

Also , I believe Stealth's type of charging extends the life of all your batteries big time .

Actually ... In your case .

We go out , to wrecks and reefs , and use the Spot Lock and never anchor .

The Stealth recharges the batts on the run back .

A great investment in my opinion !

🇺🇸💀

I may be wrong , but I think for every 10 minutes your main is over 1500 RPM is equal to one hour on the plug .

Also , I believe Stealth's type of charging extends the life of all your batteries big time .

🇺🇸💀

If that were true that rapid/high amperage charging could negatively affect the battery life. If it is a wet cell it would also have to be filled up much more often.

The one time stealth/minn kota would come in handy is a camping trip.

Oh brother, you must have a vendetta against on the fly charging systems! lol

In addition to camping trips, these charging systems also come in handy when your TM is used in heavy current for several hours straight. Plus, you won't have to plug in your boat to charge the batteries ever again unless your boat sits for several weeks at a time!

Consistently full batteries = Longer Lasting batteries. Any questions? :)

To Linesider's point, I have always been under the impression that the trolling motor deep cycle batteries last longer if they are charged overnight or for extended periods of time under low amps given the battery's deep cycle nature. I am not sure that a quick, high amp charge on the run is necessarily more beneficial than the traditional on-board charger that plugs in when comparing battery life.

Oh brother, you must have a vendetta against on the fly charging systems! lol

In addition to camping trips, these charging systems also come in handy when your TM is used in heavy current for several hours straight. Plus, you won't have to plug in your boat to charge the batteries ever again unless your boat sits for several weeks at a time!

Consistently full batteries = Longer Lasting batteries. Any questions? :)

Sorry, I meant for my use the camping trip would be the only time it would be nice. I'm sure others have their needs for it. For b*** or saltwater fishing all day in my areas I haven't had an issue because there aren't many heavy current areas. Only time I ever ran out of battery is when someone unplugged my cord at the marina so I started the day with 50% or less charge. Maybe I'm a cheapo :content:

I know batteries that get drained way down don't last as long (unless you are using lithiums, then the opposite applies), but I've always thought that high amperage charging can also decrease the life of the battery. Trickle charging was always said to have the best battery life and also not require more frequent filling of wet cells. That's why I chose a 10 amp per bank charger instead of a 15 amp.

Not really sure how long batteries are supposed to last or proper maint for them .

BUT

My Odyssey 1200's are over six years old and my Deka starting batt. was given to me from Conocean , before he sold his MA and that has been atleast 4 years and he had it for .... I dunno .

I am curious how long my batteries would last if I did not charge on the fly .

Just my $.02

🇺🇸💀

Its a regulated charger. Like Outlaw said, every 10 minutes of running equals about an hour charge. I've said it before, call Stealth and ask how the charger works. You bought the Minnkota, Its a good charger, but it is NOT a Stealth.

Trickle charging is not good for todays batteries, unless for maintaining. If you GEL then yes a lower charge is better, but for AGM higher is better. I do not usually put in wet cells because nobody ever checks the water.

🇺🇸💀

That's good to know... me and you use ours boats about the same with the troller so was wondering about that. What size house battery are you running?

Best thing you can do Daren. Great Charger

Good to hear coming from you.

Does it also work to charge the house battery? From what I read I think it will?

I believe it can depending on wiring, if not, look into a blue seas relay (make sure the relay can be used in conjuction with an AC charger!).

My boat is set up with 1 cranking, 1 house, and 2 trolling motor batteries. The relay is hooked up to my house and cranking. All accessories are run off the house until it reaches a certain voltage, where it then directs all accessories to the cranking battery. At the same time, any alternator current is directed at the lower of the 2 batteries. Essentially it is impossible for me to not be able to crank the motor or run accessories. That was a crude explanation but I think I stated it correctly

Archived