1998 HEWES 18 LT 140HP OR 200HP

JC33460

Hello All

It's been some time since I posted here and I'm glad to see the forum is still fully functional!

I am considering re-powering my 1998 Hewes Light Tackle. Currently I have a 1998 150 Yamaha V-Max and think its time to re-power. Currently and WOT I get 54mph with light load (half tank of fuel and one person).

I have had good success with Suzuki and have a good relationship with a local dealer so I am considering a Suzuki. I have been doing some research on both the DF140 (405lbs)  and the DF200 (518lbs). The dealer suggests the 200hp will be fine but it looks slightly larger in size.

My Current motor is 417lbs 150HP Yamaha VMax. Three years ago I took the cap off and reinforced the transom and redid the stringers and added a new gas tank. I am very confident the boat can support a 200 but of course I do have my concerns over the weight.

Looking for input and hopefully someone has this setup on either a light tackle or redfish?

Thanks in advance for your input!

JC33460

18 HEWES Light tackle -150 vmax

34 venture -twin Suzuki 300s

38 Outisland Express - twin Caterpillar c7.1

45 minutes ago, JC33460 said:

Hello All

It's been some time since I posted here and I'm glad to see the forum is still fully functional!

I am considering re-powering my 1998 Hewes Light Tackle. Currently I have a 1998 150 Yamaha V-Max and think its time to re-power. Currently and WOT I get 54mph with light load (half tank of fuel and one person).

I have had good success with Suzuki and have a good relationship with a local dealer so I am considering a Suzuki. I have been doing some research on both the DF140 (405lbs)  and the DF200 (518lbs). The dealer suggests the 200hp will be fine but it looks slightly larger in size.

My Current motor is 417lbs 150HP Yamaha VMax. Three years ago I took the cap off and reinforced the transom and redid the stringers and added a new gas tank. I am very confident the boat can support a 200 but of course I do have my concerns over the weight.

Looking for input and hopefully someone has this setup on either a light tackle or redfish?

Thanks in advance for your input!

JC33460

18 HEWES Light tackle -150 vmax

34 venture -twin Suzuki 300s

38 Outisland Express - twin Caterpillar c7.1

The Suzuki 200 is about 30+ LBS. heavier than the Yamaha 200 but has an offset gear shaft that places the powerhead center of gravity further forward, so it's probably a wash.  If stern weight and shallow draft is a concern, the Zuke 140 is the best choice - but it will be slower on top end than you are used to.  However, if you want the best top speed performance, I would go with the Suzuki DF200SS with the 2.00:1 gear ratio.  The Suzuki DF200A has a 2.50:1 gear ratio which is good for low-end torque, but not as fast at WOT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geeviam said:

The Suzuki 200 is about 30+ LBS. heavier than the Yamaha 200 but has an offset gear shaft that places the powerhead center of gravity further forward, so it's probably a wash.  If stern weight and shallow draft is a concern, the Zuke 140 is the best choice - but it will be slower on top end than you are used to.  However, if you want the best top speed performance, I would go with the Suzuki DF200SS with the 2.00:1 gear ratio.  The Suzuki DF200A has a 2.50:1 gear ratio which is good for low-end torque, but not as fast at WOT.

Thanks geeviam. I noticed you just repowered with the 140. What kind of fuel economy are you getting? Is there anything you would have done differently since your repower? 

11 hours ago, JC33460 said:

Thanks geeviam. I noticed you just repowered with the 140. What kind of fuel economy are you getting? Is there anything you would have done differently since your repower? 

I haven't repowered.  I think you may have seen a post where I suggested a 140 Zuke as a good size/weight package on a another member's RF 18 when he repowered.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think it's all about the need for speed.  I have a 20 LT with 150 Yamaha 4 stroke which replaced a VMax 150. I can do 45+ with my set up,but I have the wrong prop on the boat,which I've been trying to figure out. Either a 140 Suzuki or 150 YAMAHA ,maybe a SHO would be pretty quick without going over board on weight. Where I use this boat the opportunity to open it up is pretty limited.  NE waters. You may have greater distances and want to get there fast in the Everglades or similar waters.

The 150 4 stroke is pretty fuel efficient vs the 2 stroker. At cruising speed 4000-4500 rpms it uses about 5 GPH.