Garmin 74DV Comments

Wanaflatsfish

I have the 73sv. I really like it. Don't know how much help either the 73/74 or sv/dv will be in extreme shallow water. The charts/gps will be great but don't know if you'll see much on that oyster bar. However, get out of the skinny and try to find some structure with the SV and you are in business. Great tool for locating things to either side of the boat. Super clear images. No complaints at all from me.

I have the 73sv. I really like it. Don't know how much help either the 73/74 or sv/dv will be in extreme shallow water. The charts/gps will be great but don't know if you'll see much on that oyster bar. However, get out of the skinny and try to find some structure with the SV and you are in business. Great tool for locating things to either side of the boat. Super clear images. No complaints at all from me.

I'm going to add one to my new Pathy 17T side console...

I'm more interested in the charts and speed....sounds like your are happy?

I don't think it matters if you can accurately measure 4" or 6" (LOL)

when running the bights.

dc

I bought one a year ago for my 18 Lappy. So far no complaints. I thought about upgrading the chip but feel there is no need especially for the cost. I can't tell you much about the transducer since I have not hooked it up. Don't really feel much of a need for one on a flats boat. the 7" screen is great and for the price it's hard to beat.

Installed 74SV few weeks ago. Charts for inland (salt) waters I run are very good. Haven't run offshore, but charts look good based on playing around at home.

However, if I go 10 miles inland to freshwater there are NO charts at all... looks like I'm running on dry land. (But with tracking on, was able to find my way home).

In 2ft don't care about down /sidevu, but wow - in 15 ft going under a bridge I have already found bait schools and fish.

The 73 comes with Freshwater lakes chart. 74 Saltwater charts. The ducers are same, however the Hertz read is different (down/side) in the units. Both being discontinued.

Additional charts can be purchased from Garmin... both Vision with more detail and general charts.

CONSIDER getting the SV instead of DV. 1) I think you can find DV for a bit less $ and West was selling SV for $800. I debated, spent the extra $200 and very happy I did so.

Striker is already available - it is sounder only, not GPS/Sounder combo.

73/74 are combo units ('EchoMap") They are being disc in favor of new EchoMap CHIRP.

Note however that current DV/SV models do have 'chirp' in those modes. It's limited to one range (not by ducer, by software). New unit has (I think) 3 ranges of Chirp in the DV mode. (Have to read specs, but I think Striker already has that).. so major difference between Striker and EchoMap is charts. And didn't the thread start by asking about charts?

Archived