98 19’ redfisher 175 vmax need help !

I’m sure this has been covered I just can’t find the answer so sorry for the repeat . 
 We have a “new to us “ 98 redfisher with a vmax 175 everything other then some “love bites “ on her she’s a perfect boat. My only concern is no matter how I trim the motor the boat “sticks” to the water pretty much from the console back is glued to the water , my top speed is 49-51 wot at 5600 rpm. 
 Any ideas on props that could get the bow up and better top speed ? Not sure what I have on there now but after speaking to a few guys I’m thinking a 22p might help ? 
  And I do know about the “hook” in the boat too I’m not gonna eliminate that . I appreciate the help ! 

1 hour ago, Hightailin18 said:

I’m sure this has been covered I just can’t find the answer so sorry for the repeat . 
 We have a “new to us “ 98 redfisher with a vmax 175 everything other then some “love bites “ on her she’s a perfect boat. My only concern is no matter how I trim the motor the boat “sticks” to the water pretty much from the console back is glued to the water , my top speed is 49-51 wot at 5600 rpm. 
 Any ideas on props that could get the bow up and better top speed ? Not sure what I have on there now but after speaking to a few guys I’m thinking a 22p might help ? 
  And I do know about the “hook” in the boat too I’m not gonna eliminate that . I appreciate the help ! 

Congrats on finding a Redfisher 19 in such good condition!  It's my favorite lappy that Hewes ever made.  This is the first I've heard of a hook in the hull or not enough bow lift.  I thought that was only an issue with the LT 20.  From your description of the behavior, my first thought is to get a high-rake 3-blade prop with extra cupping for good grip and bow lift.  A Yamaha Pro Series or Evinrude Raker HO should work well.  A Merc Tempest Plus would also be a good choice.  With the pad on the keel of the RF 19, and the right prop, you should be able to get well beyond the the top speeds you are seeing now.  One more thought... is it possible the hull is nose-heavy because it is holding water?  You might try jacking the front of the trailer way up above normal, or park on a steep hill, for an hour or so, and see how much water comes out the drain plug.

Good morning and thank you for the reply , I am mistaken on the hook part I was thinking of my old bone fisher lol . I keep it stored in a dry area and have opened all hatches and let her sit in the sun , I too thought this might be an issue unfortunately not the case . I’m leaning more towards the prop I’m thinking a 22-25 maybe luckily I have a few local guys I know that are steering me in that direction. I don’t even care if I sacrifice rpms if I can get the nose up and running more on the pad I’d be happy I love this boat just feels like I’m riding a pancake on the water . On a flat day it makes for a gas sucking good time lol !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/23/2020 at 9:02 AM, Hightailin18 said:

I found a bravo 1 22p 4 blade that is epic for this boat . It has plenty of bow lift , hole shot is great and too end is insane I legit picked up 8.5 mph . I’m still in the process of testing different ones if this weather would calm down . Tha k you for the info ! 

Could you elaborate on this prop. I have same boat/motor combo and agree about needing bow lift. Need to know what to shop for. Thx

This prop is by far the best I’ve found . With the old prop which was only a 17 p it would ride horribly. No bow lift at all even trimming the motor up which would max out rpms and and roster tail like an jerk every where . Just not a way to run a boat . I’ve tried numerous 3 blade and I did find a 24 p that I like as well but the 4 blade immediately lifted the Bow minimum trim and even with 3 people or two dogs and two people the boat ride like a dream now. 
  I’ve been in the process of adding coosa to the transom and re enforcing the transom , adding a jack plate , power pile and new paint . I’m ready to get back on the water ! I would recommend finding one of these props . It’s a mercury bravo 2 there might be others like it I just can say my experience so far with it . 

1 hour ago, Hightailin18 said:

This prop is by far the best I’ve found . With the old prop which was only a 17 p it would ride horribly. No bow lift at all even trimming the motor up which would max out rpms and and roster tail like an jerk every where . Just not a way to run a boat . I’ve tried numerous 3 blade and I did find a 24 p that I like as well but the 4 blade immediately lifted the Bow minimum trim and even with 3 people or two dogs and two people the boat ride like a dream now. 
  I’ve been in the process of adding coosa to the transom and re enforcing the transom , adding a jack plate , power pile and new paint . I’m ready to get back on the water ! I would recommend finding one of these props . It’s a mercury bravo 2 there might be others like it I just can say my experience so far with it . 

Thanks for the info. If you could get a part number. Tried looking it up but there’s too *** many. Thx