Gelcoat issues

Just bought a brand new left over 2019 hewes about a month ago have loved the boat and have always heard about how great hewes boats are but I have made more trips getting a brand new boy fixed from manufacturer faults then I’ve been able to take the boat out on the water. The first day I took the boat out ran great absolutely loved how it rode then I noticed a chunk of the gelcoat missing where the motor is mounted so I looked around the boat and found the non skid on the front hatch did not match the deck of the boat the caulking around the boat was missing in some places and the courtesy lights didn’t work so I took it back to get fixed. Was in the shop for 2 weeks got it back and was checking over everything and noticed that there were wear markes down to the fiberglass and a chip out of the on the hull. Not sure if I should just get it fixed and see what else happens or just contact hewes.

3FD05093-C396-4EE7-BAC9-13CB562BFC7D.jpeg

CBC3E85D-6682-48DF-99AC-71E8AAF93FB4.jpeg

947B3156-A948-40FC-B611-01FBB4CF47E1.jpeg

3D3D625D-9E2C-4D4E-B38E-4ECF25EA8F8F.jpeg

A9895E41-3A45-45FC-BD4E-BA688DB2B1F1.jpeg

2A235F99-8B87-4DBA-B6FF-BAF012A284C1.jpeg

2A4D098C-1CF5-446C-BA73-F9051CAD1070.jpeg

I’m going to step out on a limb , I have owned two Mavericks and two Pathfinders and do not believe this boat would have ever left the MBG factory with any of those chips and dings, especially that anchor locker hatch door mess. I’d be talking with the dealer about fixing those damaged areas....all of that is easy for an experienced fiberglass person.  Just my opinion..... JJ

It may be an optical illusion but are the strakes of the hull riding on the bunks and not the flat part of the hull? That would need to be adjusted or those strakes will eventually crack after hitting a few bumps going down the road on the trailer.

• Thanks 2

Get the VIN number on the stern and send it to the Factory...something does not seem correct here.  Call the factory in Ft. Pierce and ask to whom to send this info.  They can give you the background on the skiff, when it was delivered to the dealer, etc.

What dealer was it purchased from?  It's hard to believe that these gelcoat cracks would get past their QC.

Also, it appears the trailer is not set up correctly as the bunks are not riding on the hull level.

If you purchased it as "new", the dealer should warrant 1 year of gelcoat repairs, meaning all the dings etc. are fixed...it looks like the dings are air-pockets, easy fix, just need to get them completed.

Report back on your progress...

dc

To me, the most puzzling piece is the bracket in the anchor locker attached to gas cylinder. This piece has been welded on, re- drilled and moved over a few inches with no repair to the existing holes or cracked gel coat. There is no way that condition was allowed to leave the MBG factory like that. I would certainly be talking with the dealer about how this condition will be handled...as well as the other nicks and dings. You should post which Dealer this boat was purchased from and get more support from the MBG team.