Proper trolling motor 17 HPX-V

Can anyone give me recommendation for the best trolling motor on a 2021 17 HPX-V? I originally thought a 12v I-pilot would be sufficient but a friend told me to go with a 24v for power and run time. Also, best battery recommendation and can I fit all 3 batteries in the console? Thanks in advance for the help. 

13 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

22 feet of graphite but I agree with your friend, I would go with a 24v volt system if you plan on using it throughout a days fishing. I would get at least group 27 deep cells. 

Yes, 24V.

But, you might not be able to get the 27's and cranking battery in the console.

Hells bay rigs theirs with the Optima blue tops with 24v...the skiff is super light, so you should be fine with a little less reserve capacity..but, if you are going to be on it all day..then a DEKAs 27's are the way to go...be sure to run a 1/2/ALL switch for a jump and run your GPS and Stereo off one of the trolling motor batteries so you have no interference with voltage when you crank up.

dc

I had a 2008 HPX-V and I had 3 Odyssey PC1200 batteries in the console . I had a 24V Minn Kota . I used the same TM on my 24 Pathfinder. It was a bit weak for that but it saved me from buying two TM’s . I had it set up at Master Repair in Stuart. Also put a PP on it. Wish I kept that boat .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Space is tight inside the 17 HPXV console. I ended up using 3 Odyssey 1200's because it was the only way to fit 3 batteries inside my console. I'm running a 24 volt system which is working fine. On another note, if you decide to go with the Odyssey batteries DO NOT BUY THEM FROM AMAZON. One of the batteries I bought last year (2019) had been manufactured in 2013. When it failed, Odyssey would not warrant it due to age. Amazon eventually refunded the purchase price of the battery, but not until I had spent 45 minutes on the phone to India, speaking with literally 7 different customer service reps.

Going through this right now on our HPX"S" model. I have 3 batteries in the console (all AGMs and 40 pounds a piece). The boat is *** heavy with 120# of battery in the console so keep that in mind. I am fooling with moving 1 up front or going lithium. I wouldn't put three batteries in the console on a 17. Factory supplied with a 12 volt so keep that in mind as well.. I had a 55# 12 volt on my micro with a Sam's AGM and it worked fine all day. Depends where you fish.

• 2 months later...

I second Headhunter's post.  I had a 24V on previously w/ 3 bank charger.  Went to a 12V w/ 2 bank charger and took almost 100lbs off the boat.  I can tell the difference.

I have an unusual set up.  I run one Group 24 AGM for house and cranking.  I have a small Motorcross battery for back up.  I usually pole and use the TM to get close to the flats, but I have used it for hours when trout fishing.  I have only run it down once or twice, so I simply switched to the little battery and it started both the old 90 2 stroke I used to have on the boat and now the F70 just fine.  WEight is extremely important to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...