Pompano recipes

SCFD rtrd.

Headed down to Englewood for a few days. This time last year, we just killed the Pompano. Can anyone offer a recipe for cooking on the grill. Please, nothing too fancy, I'm not a cook.

Also, these fish are easy to filet but so hard to skin. So, any recipe with skin on, would be appreciated.

Headed down to Englewood for a few days. This time last year, we just killed the Pompano. Can anyone offer a recipe for cooking on the grill. Please, nothing too fancy, I'm not a cook.

Also, these fish are easy to filet but so hard to skin. So, any recipe with skin on, would be appreciated.

The best way to cook pompano in my opinion is Lousiana Style - Pompano en Papiotte (Pompano in Parchment).

Look it up on Foodnetwork.com they should have some or google it...

Basically, put the pompano filet meat side up, add some nice julian veggies, little white wine to poach, olive oil, etc. and bake in oven.

Many variations...but, i find this best due to the firmness of the meat.

Enjoy.

dc

Google is your friend and so is leaving the skin on no matter how you cook them. It helps retain the oils in the fish and that is what makes the meat so rich.

Oven baked with skin on is a good way and easy. The usual white wine, butter and some garlic.

The high end restaurants commonly cook them whole with the head on, many variations to that style.

There is a good reason they command upwards of 4.50 whole un-gutted right off the boat.

Yes they freeze ok but I can't catch them like skiffin so I mostly est them fresh.

The ones my families seafood business dealt in were always gutted and frozen whole.

They were then split down the middle with a band saw and delivered for prep. Head and all.

I actually ran a route for deliveries that included the Columbia restaurant, Tio Pepes, Berns and a few others.

It was a 50 dollar dish back in the early seventies. ;)

make your mouth water Dino style

Ingredients

3 cups water

1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided

1/4 teaspoon dried whole thyme

1 bay leaf

1 lemon, sliced

6 pompano fillets (about 2 pounds)

1 onion, minced

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 egg yolks

1 cup peeled, deveined, and cooked medium shrimp, chopped

1/2 cup lump crab meat

6 medium mushrooms, sliced

Preparation

Cut six 14- x 12-inch pieces of parchment paper; cut each into a large heart shape. Fold in half; open out flat, and lightly butter exposed surface. Set aside.

Combine water, 1 teaspoon salt, thyme, bay leaf, and lemon slices in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add fillets; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove fillets from fish stock; set aside. Strain stock into a 2-cup gl*** measure; add water to yield 1 1/2 cups. Set stock aside; discard bay leaf and lemon slices.

Sauté onion in butter in Dutch oven over low heat until tender. Gradually add flour, stirring until well blended. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add reserved fish stock; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Gradually stir one-fourth hot mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining salt, shrimp, crab meat, and mushrooms.

Place one fillet on half of each paper heart; top each with 1/2 cup shrimp mixture. Fold paper edges over to seal securely. Carefully place parchment bags on baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until bags are puffed and lightly browned.

Transfer bags to serving plates. Cut an opening in bags, and serve.

Archived