BEWARE MY FELLOW BOATERS

fishingfool485

I am writing this as a warning to all my fellow boaters that visit Flamingo Everglades National Park. My son and I were down there yesterday for a day of fishing in the backcountry. Our plan was to fish whitewater bay and work our way out to the gulf. Our morning was stellar, we caught a few big snook along with various snookies. The weather cleared up and we decided to make a run west to the gulf. Keep in mind I have been taking the same route out for the last 20+ years or so. So I thought I was familiar with the area. As we cleared whiterwater and started making our way through the river I hit a submerged object that just about tore my motor off the transom. My 10 year old son and I came to an abrupt halt. After inspecting my lower unit we noticed that one of the blades on my revolution prop was sheared off. The motor was still running and thank god no one was hurt. After surveying the area come to find out we hit what use to be marker #42. It seems to me that the park cut that marker out but instead of putting a buoy on it they just left it half arse and cut it just below the water line. As we limped back on our 18 mile journey to the ramp I noticed various other markers were missing. I'm sure those weren't taken care of correctly either. Back home my Yamaha mechanic inspected my lower unit and said he had never seen such an impact. Bad news for me. Lower unit is a total loss. I immediately called my insurance company and started a claim. I'm still waiting to hear from them. Hopefully all the years of paying boat owners insurance will pay off. I thought it was my duty to give my fellow MBC forum brother and sisters a heads up. Please be careful !!!!!

I could be completely wrong here, but a friend hit a piling that was unmarked after a bridge was demolished and he was able to have the company that demolished the bridge pay for it.

It had something to do with the Army Corps of Engineers not marking it.

I dont know how that stuff works and how it would apply to your situation, but figured i would let you know just in case

Well, that sux!!!

Good to hear everybody was ok.

Another prime example why nobody should be operating a boat without insurance.

Sounds as though you may have to get a lawyer to be compensated for the damages though.

Can't see the responsible party (department) willingly stand up to pay for a new lower unit.

Wow, glad to hear you and your son are ok. It seems logical that any local, state or federal agency tasked with installing a navigational marker would be equally responsible for properly removing the marker. I'd return to the spot and capture some underwater pics or video of the cut-off pole and the new damage to the pole, from your lower unit. Then submit that to your insurance company. Let them negotiate with the agency responsible. The video or pics also lends credibility to your original statement of events.

This story is exactly why I stopped following the markers many years ago. I had two close calls whacking markers that were partially submerged in WWB.

Most importantly, thankfully nobody was hurt or worse! Lower units and props can be replaced.

Your insurance company will likely pay for your damages less the policy deductible then subrogate against the NPS since it's their responsibility to maintain the markers. Shouldn't be a hard claim to settle on your end. Good luck!

The Coot Bay floaters are all washed against the mangroves so don't worry about those. There are some out front on the Murray-Clive channel that are broken off (the fence post markers) one is directly adjacent to Clive Key and the other is 3 or 4 south of Clive Key.

Interestingly enough, the one south of Clive was broken off Saturday by some D-Bag as he p***ed me. I guess me doing 30-ish mph through a fairly narrow channel wasn't cutting it.

He came to a stop a few hundred feet past me up on the gr***... I forgot to stop and see if they were OK. There were 5 of them in 4" of water, I'm sure they figured it out.

Archived