Solunar Theory and Ten Thousand Islands June 27

Fished with my buddy Mike ("InTheSlot12") on his HPX-18 south of Chokoloskee in the Ten Thousand Islands area of the Everglades National Park yesterday. Based on my planning the night before, conditions on Saturday looked to be very favorable for an excellent day. We anticipated the best time of day to be from first light until about 0900 with opposing lunar transit (moon down and sunrise occurring at approximately the same time, with high tide at Lostman’s at 7:42 a.m.). Not sure what others think about the “Solunar Theory”, but it sure seemed to play out yesterday.

The “Solunar Theory” is attributed to author John Alden Knight. In 1926, he considered some folk lore that he picked up while fishing in Florida and decided to evaluate 33 factors he thought might influence the behavior of fresh or saltwater fishes that caused them to be periodically more active. Of those, three seemed to merit further examination: sunrise/sunset, phase of the moon and tides.

Tides had long been known as an important factor in saltwater fishing success and the connection with moon phase was well understood. Knight reckoned that the relationship of the sun and moon, rather than actual tidal stages might be the determining factor. As his research continued, he determined that in addition to the time of moon up - moon down there were intermediate periods of fishing activity that occurred midway between the two major periods. So, he coined the phrases 'major periods' and 'minor periods' to describe them respectively. He published the first Solunar Tables in 1936.

The periods of greatest animal activity (not only fish are influenced) last from 1.5 to 3 hours depending on the moon's relationship to the sun. Minor Solunar periods are indicated during the rising and setting times of the moon, and major periods are indicated during the two transits (you can roughly calculate these times for yourself by adding six hours to the rise and set times for the moon).

June has a greater combined solunar influence than any other month. During a full moon, the sun and moon are nearly opposite each other and given the length of the day, one or the other is nearly always above the horizon. During a new moon, both bodies are in near-perfect rhythm traveling the skies together with their forces combined.

Of course, there are other factors that can greatly affect the predictive ability of solunar tables and likelihood of a successful day on the water. Barometric changes, especially a downward trend, can often ruin fishing. Cold fronts tend to drive fish deeper and make them active. Conversely, If the barometer is steady or rising, and the air temperature is approximately 15 degrees Fahrenheit higher than the water temperature a more active response to a solunar prediction can be anticipated.

Research has shown that a natural day for fish and many other animal species is based on a diurnal (twice daily) 'biological clock' that appears to coincide with lunar time. In other words, it is based on the time that it takes the moon to complete one rotation of the earth (an average of 24 hours and 53 minutes). This is also called a 'tidal day' and explains why ocean tides are about an hour later each day - and why most fish, freshwater species included, will feed up to an hour later (in relation to our solar clock) each day.

Back to yesterday. Launching from Outdoor Resorts before sunrise, we ran south from Chokoloskee on the outside to fish the beaches and snags south of the Lostmans River. Throwing a Zara Spook, Jr. in the “Foxy Momma” color, I connected with an under slot snook on the second cast. From there, it was game on. Snook, reds and a few jacks clobbered the top water lure as well as Mike’s MirroLure suspending twitch bait in mullet color. A mixed bag of bait was everywhere, as were rays and sharks…a lot of life on that flat. We left that area around 9:30 just as the bite slowed (right on track) and headed for a river to fish the outgoing before running up into the backcountry for the rest of the day. More snook and reds were caught on soft plastics on jigs, mostly at island points with moving water. We also brought a big-for-backcountry goliath grouper to the boat—sure wish they would open up a season on those! The water temperature exceeded 90 degrees in the back in the afternoon, so the fishing really slowed later in the day and we headed back in around 3:30 p.m.

Here are a few pictures from the day. Interested to hear what others think about the Solunar Theory and whether you ascribe any of your success to using it in your planning. But, just remember, the best day to fish is any day you can!

954B2FA5-F14E-4CC8-B24C-45663D5BE19D_1_201_a.jpeg

826EEB95-5642-418F-BA73-6C5F77879937_1_201_a.jpeg

EE0901A0-4B71-475A-975C-F67744994E2A_1_201_a.jpeg

C7699E37-DC9F-4DFE-826A-A49870D89A69_1_201_a.jpeg

BF5E3052-7C84-4F47-A62B-ADD7F834073D_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

But, just remember, the best day to fish is any day you can!

You guys have it dialed in....I hope to get on the water soon....Ameratrail will be ready July 7th.

I was at a seminar a few years ago, and I asked one of the speakers, I can't remember whom, who was talking about fishing in various conditions.  I asked "how do you fish a full moon? I always seem to not do well."   He jokingly responded, "You throw out your line and start fishing.  At some point, they are gone eat, and if you don't have a rod in the water, all the thinking you do, won't make a difference."  Everyone laughed but he was right....if you are not in the game, you are not gona catch fish :)

Well done gents !!!

dc

• Like 3

Another stellar report Dave , TOW paying off .

Honestly , I just go n fish .

There seems to be a tide and place for most situations .

Last week was probably the best redfish , snook bite ever , for me, glad to see they are still there .

This week , we tried for another species .

It was sporty , to say the least , but we did get some .

Back at it next week !

#LONGWEEKEND🇺🇸

496676DA-3EA7-42C1-B26E-38D3065A4759.jpeg

68072905-B547-47D7-AB1E-AF0B30B54B2F.jpeg

• Like 3

Great Report Dave and Great explanation on Majors and Minors. I must say I do look at the major and minor periods on the day I "CAN" go fishing, but have not really correlated those with catching or not catching. I have learned that specific moon phases, each of the four, tell me where the tide is going to be, where I like to fish. DC mentions he may not do well on a full moon. I would say that is because where he fishes, During the full moon, the best tide (strongest tide) is at night where he fishes and he is fishing in the daytime. I am very aware of the tides, when the best tides is, (two daily tides and one is always stronger than the other) and on which two of the four moon phases does that tide occur in the location. In southern ENP, on the west coast, the best and strongest tides occur at "night" on a Full and New Moon. On those two moon phases, the daytime tides, when I "can"  fish, are not the best for fishing. Hope that made sense, scary that it dose to me......... A very wise man (my Father) once told me, Fish when you can and as much as you can keeping your priorities in order. God, Family, Country and others.........fishing........Though I am always looking for an advantage and knowledge is an advantage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jh141 said:

Great Report Dave and Great explanation on Majors and Minors. I must say I do look at the major and minor periods on the day I "CAN" go fishing, but have not really correlated those with catching or not catching. I have learned that specific moon phases, each of the four, tell me where the tide is going to be, where I like to fish. DC mentions he may not do well on a full moon. I would say that is because where he fishes, During the full moon, the best tide (strongest tide) is at night where he fishes and he is fishing in the daytime. I am very aware of the tides, when the best tides is, (two daily tides and one is always stronger than the other) and on which two of the four moon phases does that tide occur in the location. In southern ENP, on the west coast, the best and strongest tides occur at "night" on a Full and New Moon. On those two moon phases, the daytime tides, when I "can"  fish, are not the best for fishing. Hope that made sense, scary that it dose to me......... A very wise man (my Father) once told me, Fish when you can and as much as you can keeping your priorities in order. God, Family, Country and others.........fishing........Though I am always looking for an advantage and knowledge is an advantage.

You had a wise daddy!

3 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Another stellar report Dave , TOW paying off .

Honestly , I just go n fish .

There seems to be a tide and place for most situations .

Last week was probably the best redfish , snook bite ever , for me, glad to see they are still there .

This week , we tried for another species .

It was sporty , to say the least , but we did get some .

Back at it next week !

#LONGWEEKEND🇺🇸

496676DA-3EA7-42C1-B26E-38D3065A4759.jpeg

68072905-B547-47D7-AB1E-AF0B30B54B2F.jpeg

Nice perm!  

• Like 1

I don't post often, but have to say something.  I am lucky to have a fishing bud like Big Dave.  He spends hours preparing as I spend hours watching the next TV show. 

After the 1.5 hour drive to OR we are on the water at 40 MPH heading across Choko Bay in the dark.  Lunar phases, moons, sun and tides don't really mater much as we move to the outside and head south in search of our first pitch into what we hope will be another amazing day in the park.  With Big Dave walking the beach, and me directing the HPX 25 yards offshore, I pause to realize how amazing and special this place has become.  Like a kid getting ready to walk into Disney, I am excited as I send the 2000 jr toward the beach and Big Dave is already hooked up on a low end slot linesider.  Moments later I'm in a dog fight with a top end spot tail only to watch Big Dave battle with an over slot red.  This is the reason I only got 3 hours sleep last night....

During the week I sit in the office thinking about the next adventure we will have.   Fishing with Dave, Radi, Dino and Donh I can't think of another place I would rather be as the Sun peeks over the beach and I realize that we have a full day to spend here. 

As the sun dips over the horizon, we pull up to the ramp at OR and I know we will relive this trip the drive home and probably thru Dave on this forum.

Tight lines!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Intheslot12 said:

I don't post often, but have to say something.  I am lucky to have a fishing bud like Big Dave.  He spends hours preparing as I spend hours watching the next TV show. 

After the 1.5 hour drive to OR we are on the water at 40 MPH heading across Choko Bay in the dark.  Lunar phases, moons, sun and tides don't really mater much as we move to the outside and head south in search of our first pitch into what we hope will be another amazing day in the park.  With Big Dave walking the beach, and me directing the HPX 25 yards offshore, I pause to realize how amazing and special this place has become.  Like a kid getting ready to walk into Disney, I am excited as I send the 2000 jr toward the beach and Big Dave is already hooked up on a low end slot linesider.  Moments later I'm in a dog fight with a top end spot tail only to watch Big Dave battle with an over slot red.  This is the reason I only got 3 hours sleep last night....

During the week I sit in the office thinking about the next adventure we will have.   Fishing with Dave, Radi, Dino and Donh I can't think of another place I would rather be as the Sun peeks over the beach and I realize that we have a full day to spend here. 

As the sun dips over the horizon, we pull up to the ramp at OR and I know we will relive this trip the drive home and probably thru Dave on this forum.

Tight lines!

..yep, TOW is what it takes....can't wait to get back into the game.

dc

Gentlemen

One very important rule on this forum. If you have a personal issue with another forum member or you have an issue with someone's post, you may discuss it with them via private contact, or you may report the issue to the forum Moderators/Administration. Conveying those issues in a negative manner on the forum will result in the post being deleted, and depending on the severity, the member may be banned from the forum. 

There are far too many negatives in the world! It will not be tolerated on this forum. 

This thread has a very positive subject matter. Lets continue down that path. 

MOD2

• Like 1

Right on point Mike .

I too have been blessed to of hung out , and fished with some very knowledgable anglers , over the years , who were willing to share the passion and knowledge , of what has become my passion , and my Heaven on earth .

Along the way , I learned alot on my own .

Today , I can honestly say , Thanks to all who have opened my eyes to one of the most beautiful and rugged places on earth .

YOLO 🇺🇸🏴‍☠️ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, radi_33125 said:

Mike the boys love fishing with you and Dave thank you for the great report like always.  You guys are class acts.

Dino thank you for showing me the S curve all those years ago.  EBBDCFA3-0DE8-4474-B209-73F198415A68.thumb.jpeg.46259b18feb7fdd01b427bdcb047d9cc.jpeg

8C2C8063-F247-4521-8349-0A1CD4AE795F.jpeg

55FA68ED-13E2-4B55-A03B-AA7E7E120959.jpeg

A11C4CAF-DC47-470F-83A2-FE35AA025EA5.jpeg

Good little anglers there!  Keep 'em on the water and off the couch!  Good job, dad.