ground tackle question

Iron Angler

Just finished up the season here in the northeast, and I have a sorta rookie question. I haven't used an anchor much in the past, but this season I relied on one quite a lot. Being a member of the "more is better" crowd, I initially outfitted my 2400 with 150' of 1/2" 3-strand braided nylon, 6' of 3/8" uncoated proof coil, and a 15# Danforth. Of course the uncoated chain rusted real quick and made a mess, not to mention being a back-breaking chore to retrieve.

Time to upgrade, so I'd like to ask those who know better before I buy some new tackle. What's the lightest anchor (weight) and chain (dia.) that I can safely run on this size/weight boat? Conditions are mostly mud/sand, and rock. Charts from West Marine indicate only 3/8" 3-strand nylon and 1/4" G4 chain; sounds a little light to me but if it works...?

Also, so I'm not "reinventing the wheel", has anyone come up with some sort of hanger system to hang the rode so that it's not laying on the floor of the locker?

No rule of thumb to fall back on.. Your anchor and rode may be essential keeping you moored in a sudden squall.. You can't go too light. 3/8" braided nylon should be more than adequate. Fortress/Guardian anchors are expensive, but worth it ! Stainless chain is pricey too.

Knowing that you will snag & lose an anchor sooner or later, this is un$ettling. You need an anchor retrieval ball , etc.. Storing more stuff now. If you anchor a lot, it is part of the drill..

A 15# Danforth is hard to hang.. A light Fortress is easier. The guys will show their modifications..

Marc

All this depends on the depth and type of bottom you are anchoring in.... I don't care for the danforths prefer a sea claw type, to me they seem to set better. AS to the chain Ive found that the weight and length of the chain is crucial to get the anchor set in deep stuff. I used to run 6' of 5/16" and got tired of having issues getting it set and having to pull it in and start over, put a piece of 10' 3/8" on and it sets everytime in depths up to 90'. To ease pulling the tackle in get an anchor ball and ring.... it eliminates a lot of hard work and makes it much more pleasurable to retrieve the anchor

I don't fish in deep water (maybe 20 ft. max) and mostly mud and sand bottom. I use a 12 lb. Sea-Claw with no chain. It holds every time. If you fish in rocks, you'll have to rig the rope to the anchor in a brake-away fashion, so you can retrieved the anchor if it gets lodged under a rock. I also use 3/8" three strand rope.

I understand that someone is marketing a Sea-Claw knock-off. Maybe someone knows the guys name that makes the original Sea-Claw anchor.

Give it a try. The worst thing that could happen is you would have to add some S/S chain.

http://www.reelcharterfishing.com/anchor.htm

This a the real deal and not a knock off as there are some. "even with same name"

No chain required and if rigged to break away you can almost never lose one to being fouled in rocks.

We use the 12 pound on my buddies 24 PF and the same on my 21 MA along with the 24 Avenger with Tower which really catches the wind. As long as you have a reasonable amount of scope they will hold.

Archived