Help - Engine question

whichwaysup

I did something stupid. My Deptfinder wasn't working, so, while out fishing, I disconnected it from the starting battery. Unfortunately, the wires were under the engine cables, so I had disconnect those first. No problem, found a little corrosion on the depthfinder connection, cleaned it up, put everything back together. . .

Except in my haste, I hooked up my engine cables backwards - red wire on negative terminal, black wire on positive terminal. A tiny little spark should have told me something was wrong.

Tried to start the engine, go nothing, looked at the setup and immediately realized my boneheaded mistake. No problem, switch everything back out . . . .Nothing. No tilt/trim, no start, no engine. Luckily it was only a 45 minute troll back to the ramp (always overbuy on a trolling motor!).

What the heck did I do? I figure that I had to have blown a fuse, but for the life of me, I can't find one. I definitely have power to the engine - a quick check with a voltmeter of wires to the starter confirmed that.

Any ideas?

Get some cables and try jumping the motor straight from the starter to see if it will start. In addition, power the trim from cables to try to trim the motor up and down if it's possible on your motor.

When you touched the voltmeter to the starter what volts did you get? If you get full voltage, hold the voltmeter to where the battery cables connect to motor and have someone turn the key like you would to start the motor, if volts drop way down then you have a ground issue somewhere.

Those are just a few things I might check to eliminate.

Many Yamaha's have a couple 50 amp fuses one main and ***. Fuse .It is very possible that when you hooked the battery cables up backwards that you blew the main 50 amp. Hope this helps Joe R

That was my first thought about the main fuse on engine, but wouldnt that still allow the trim to work correctly? Regardless this is still a very good suggestion. Hope you get it fixed!

Yep, found it. 20 amp fuse on the starboard side of the panel. 20 cents and she's working fine again. Couldn't find it when I was hanging upside down from the poling platform praying that I didn't drop something into the water. :)

This link explains it best:

http://www.justanswer.com/boat/4iiq3-accidentally-connected-wrong-polarity-negative-wire-positive.html#re.v/463/

Archived