2500 prop discussion

21 minutes ago, BradM said:

Mine runs a little better than even up above 5,800. Does yours do the same? I’m talking my old, box stock 23p runs well, my 22p did too. 

Well yeah prolly a little better than even at the top end. Maybe not as much as others since I have a t-top. And of corse not running a stepped hull. So my girl working to get those Wot numbers. 😁

• 4 months later...

Any updates on this thread? I have a 2019 2500 hybrid loaded out with a 350 Verado, currently running the Rev 4 18p.  54~ish top end loaded but hole shot is horrible.  Ive spoken with Ken at Prop Gods (great guy) and his advice was to go to a rev 4 17P to get the hole shot better.  I just cant see that size engine running that size wheel and not topping out too soon.  I really want to try a bravo1 FS but was told it wouldnt do well with the step hull.  Does anyone have any more "real world" advice or experience? Kind of on the fence about selling this boat and going into more of a true offshore but I havent made up my mind. I would sure like to be able to get better performance out of my combo to help me decide to keep it. Thanks in advance! 

Good luck... aparently most are just happy to run whatever they got from the dealer cause there is very little prop talk with 2500's.... except for the guys chasing top end and theres alot fewer peeps running mercs.  All I can offer is this. 

Ive tried or been on other 2500s with these props with the F300

SWSII 19"

OFX4 19"

Bravo1 

Enertia Eco XP 18"

REV4 XP 18.5"

Hands down the Rev was the best prop for me who wants load carrying ability when needed and ability to run slower and control the bow when running in the rough offshore.  Surprised by your numbers and lack of holeshot but wonder it that is a non XP Rev?

I misspoke on which prop I am running. I actually have the rev 4 19p on my boat now.  It is not an XP.  I’m thinking the rev 4 xp in 18p might be a better fit.  I’m 80% offshore and like you, want better control of the front end when running in slop. I want a better hole shot and I’m not horribly concerned with trying to make it go 60.  I prefer fueL mileage and control over top end when I may actually stretch it out only once or twice per year. I sure wish Pathfinder would do a little research and figure this out for us.  With their resources, I wouldn’t think it would be that hard for the various hulls and motor combos. I know there’s a lot of different scenarios but a starting point on each hull would be nice. Thank you for the reply.

Well the rev xp did an outstanding job controlling the bow.... running in a following sea with the 3 blade SWSII the boat wants to run to fast for conditions causing a ton of throttle jockeying and when climbing the backs of waves it struggles.  Also get alot of the bow slamming into the next trough after coming over a wave.  The Rev xp eliminated all that.

I think the XP's spin up a bit faster than the reg Rev so if the same pitch on both props the XP would run like its a pitch or 2 less.  It doesnt get quite the mileage as my 3 blade but none will.  Here are some #s i recorded while running it (all fishing gear / coolers, 1 person, full livewell and full on fuel)

RPM     MPG    Speed

3200    3.3      22

3400    3.1       26

3600    3.1        28.2

3800    3.1       35.6

4000    3.1       37.6

4200    3.1       39.7

4400    2.8      42.3

4800    2.4      46.3

WOT = 5700 1.9mpg @ 55.1mph

I just want to get a mph per 100 rpm or close with a decent hole shot.  Everything mathematically says this should be the case with this hull and hp I am running.  I think I’m going to try the 19p XP and see how she does.   If it runs as you explained, going to the XP in the same 19pitch should solve my issues. I really appreciate it and I will add to this post once I get it installed. Tight lines brother! 

So My dealer friend had the boat for service and took his son and dad out with a half tank of gas.  PF 2500 with 350 Verado rev 4 19p 1/2 tank of gas, no gear other than  safety gear.  
6400 rpm @ 59.5 mph

3.8 second hole shot

This boat likes the motor high in the JP.  Like all the way up when taking off.  It runs best all the way up.  I’m having him cheat the engine up one hole on the jackplate mount to get the prop up and it have to have the engine so high on the plate in seas.  Going to run it like this and see what happens.  May go to an 18-18.5p in an XP if it’s not where I want it when running with with offshore load and full tanks.  Just documenting for folks like me who were searching for answers on this combo.  Thanks guys for all the help!