Specks & early Shad

johnd

took the Hewes to freshwater yesterday. Goal was some Specks and we were not disappointed. Mostly smaller in size, but plentiful enough to keep our rods bent.

Also hooked 3 Shad, two 17 and one almost 20". Not really the 'run' but early fish in the river.

Used 1/16oz jig heads with little plastic tails.. gray body with yellow tail. We tried silver, white, yellow and at least yesterday the gray with yellow tail was the ticket.

Did you stay in one of the lakes John? The water north of 520 is getting skinny but I took the airboat up near 528 and was getting some shad and specks on fly but no slabs yet the gators were getting a bit too friendly when you hooked up also ( I was walking/wading the edges)!. This cold should get it going.

Jim

No, we ran the river. Yep! some places had no issues a few weeks ago were very skinny. Water level well down.

Launched at ramp on 50.. able to go almost to 528. Fish in the deeper water 4-12 ft. But yeah, it was getting darn skinny in places. Stay in the channel! Little creeks out of channel now imp***ible.

Most fish found north about 1-2 miles.

Buddy fished north off 46 this week. Landed 5 of 7 Shad. Hope to get up there this week if I can.

Correction: we launched on 520, not 50.

Went again today, out of 520. Water level up. Water Temp 55. Wind 20kts with whitecaps in the straightaways. OMG it was cold! But after 5 days out of town on business, I needed a day on the water.

After this adventure instead of LEDs under the gunnels, I'm thinking radiant heaters... does SeaDek make a heated pad? Now I understand when the up north weather folks say 'wind chill'...

about 18 specks, brought 12 home. Only 1 was 'big', just over 1lb No Shad landed, but they were there.

Nature adventure: two bald Eagles flying together, Spoonbills wading and eating in the shallow gr***, hundreds of birds of all kinds.. Some kind of quiet and special out there.

Archived