New wireless trolling motor question???

nairb

Does anyone offer a wireless/gps guided trolling motor that uses the same or similar mounting locations as the manual style? My current motor is mounted on a removable mounting plate. I would like to upgrade to wireless but don't really want to put more holes in my boat.

IT can be done but it depends on your current setup. I had a manual on my boat and wanted to have the ability to use both on the same puck. Master repair in stuart sells an aluminum plate that's powder coated and cut/drilled to match a MK QD mount... I forget the exact model but its the most common one used for manual TM's. You put the plate on another mount and it stiffens it so you can run the wireless on the end of it. Heres some pics of my setup showing the plate used with the Xi5 and showing the manual mounted (not trying to post bragging pics... only ones I got showing the TM's mounted)

[image]http://www.mbcforum.com/fbbuploads/1452649780-IMAG1961.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.mbcforum.com/fbbuploads/1452649759-100_2834.JPG[/image]

1452649759-100_2834.JPG.a1594d45d9d211ef

1452649780-IMAG1961.jpg.cface01c35c0266a

Yes, it has been awesome. Its not perfect but has yet to fail me... Ive put who knows how many hrs on it in 2 years. So far only issues its had is the leds on the display going bad twice... one time was due to water intrusion into the area under the led panel. The water proofing on the panel is not ideal but under normal conditions it should be fine... I on the other hand am routinely out in some rough stuff.. enough that I take a few waves over the bow which im sure is what forced water in. To be safe Id recommend to lift that panel off and run a bead of silicone around it and put it back on. The elec board is waterproofed but the power and led wires where they go into the board are not.

I upgraded my Minn Kota this year to the wireless and It fit on the mount that I had.I had a quick disconnect set up to begin with and the new motor slid right on and the fastning screw lined up perfectly which made my day.It may depend on what you have mounted now. My old one was ten years old.It made for an easy change out.

Archived