Engine Repower - Merc 3.4L V6??

Father Time finally caught me, as my 2003 Yamaha VMAX/HPDI 2.6L has 25psi on cylinder #2, and saltwater on the plugs of #2 and #4 😳...after 17 yrs and 1500 hrs of bullet proof operation. So its time to repower. Yamaha has very limited options for me, excluding the SHO line-up, so I’m left with a choice of only the F200 or F150...obviously both great motors.

After a bunch of research, including talking with people I know & trust in the marine biz including Yamaha dealers and mechanics, its clear there’s a old old dog with a new trick in the lightweight, V6 space 175-300 hp space; and that’s Mercury Marine with their new Fourstroke lineup.. I’m eye-balling the 3.4L, V6 200hp. 

Anybody running one of these 3.4L’s on a 22 Pathfinder? If so, I’d love to hear the good, bad and #’s. If not, I’ll share #’s after my purchase/install is complete and I’ve put some time on it. ETA: mid-Sept.

Ps.  RIP ole gal, you’ve done me right👍

B46A811B-7A2E-4A2C-B865-463C4A6922B5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Drummer said:

SHO-time! Impressive engine. Mine amazes me daily. 

No doubt, they are super impressive engines...for the right hull. IMO, it's simply too much investment to hang a 200SHO on the back of my 2003 hull. If I planned on keeping the boat, I would strongly consider.

18 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

That's a beast of a motor, must have massive torque to plant your @$$ in the seat. 

That's exactly what most/some people don't realize when I've mentioned the word "Merc" to them. This new design, which is consistent across their entire motor line-up from 175hp and higher is something Mercury Marine put a ton of R & D into. Word is they are 5-6 years again of Yammie and Merc with this new product. 

200 Fourstroke weighing in at less weight than my VMAX/HPDI, with more power & torque, and quieter with better fuel economy is pretty compelling. From my homework so far, I might be the first Pathfinder running a Merc 3.4L v6 Fourstroke. Not sure if I can/will actually make the cross-over, as the F150 or F200 is a safe choice.