2019 Maverick 18 HPX with 150 SHO

14 1/2 X 23 Yamaha pro series PN  66K -45974-B0-00 .  When I had the 150 on my HPX I ran two props a 23 and a 25 Yamaha pro series 66k-45972-B0-00 to get a couple more mph sacrificing a little hole shot . The 23 worked well stock and was on it 70% of the time . 

• Like 1

Not sure what a “151/4” is, I’m not really into prop experimenting, testing, etc... When people start talking about stern lift, blade cupping and all that prop stuff I check out. I just called Marcus at PT and asked what to run and went with it. There’s dudes on here that are really into dialing props in and have tried every prop under the sun that will have more info than me. 

2 hours ago, jason p said:

FunkyMonkey on here... if you want a PowerTech prop I’d just give them a call and they’ll give you their recommendations. Mercury Spitfire props work really well on HPXs w/115s as well, XR7 21 pitch if I remember correctly but don’t quote me on that. 

I thought that Ironhorsecowboy6 has a HPX with a 150 HP sho on it that’s why I told him what props I used on my HPX when I had the 150 on it . I bought and ran a bunch of props on my 150/HPX to find what worked best for me before running the 14 1/2x 23 and 14 1/2X 25 pitch Yamaha pro series . 
   I agree with your Spitefire suggestions if you have a 18 HPX / 115 sho .it does run well on my boat with that combo ,I also like the PTR pro3  13 1/2x 21 on my 18 HPX/115 sho combo as well as the Yamaha K 13 1/2x 21 pro series . 

• Like 1

I have had both three and four blade props with incredible hole shots when your not spinning to much prop for your motor to reach its maximum RPM and it vented if needed I have had good luck with hole shots with either . The 150 on my 18 HPX V was not as prop sensitive to carry extra weight or hole shot  as my  18 HPX is with the 115 SHO . Lots of things effect the hole shot prop diameter, motor height, boat balance / weight distribution , barrel length a short barrel with a flare end usually has a better hole shot than a non flare longer tube prop . ventilation hole size , how the pitch progresses, the shoe string size of the blade , a sharp v leading edge and a 90 degree sharp square trailing edge  , balance , how exact each blade is to each other . All of the above effect hole shot . I wish it was as simple as a 4 blade or a three blade . One of the few props that I have never owned or tested but sounds like a great prop for a HPX I think would be the Power Tech Pro 4 . A design very close to the Yamaha K Pro Series in a four blade  just sounds like something that should perform great . On some hulls the pro series doesn’t grip well in turns but is fantastic running straight that 4th blade may be a great addition on that design . May be worth asking Marcus the funky monkey about .    Joe R 

Ironhorsecowboy69, did you get a prop yet for your HPX / 150HP set up yet . You should try a see if anyone in your area has a 14 1/2 X23 Pro Series Yamaha prop or a Power Tech RKR3 in a 23 . I don’t think a 17 pitch prop will work very well on a HPX with a 150 SHO hanging on the rear if Marcus at Power Tech told you to get a 17 pitch maybe he didn’t think you have a 150 HP SHO on it .    Joe R. 

• Sad 1

On 7/27/2020 at 6:14 PM, dabear said:

I have had both three and four blade props with incredible hole shots when your not spinning to much prop for your motor to reach its maximum RPM and it vented if needed I have had good luck with hole shots with either . The 150 on my 18 HPX V was not as prop sensitive to carry extra weight or hole shot  as my  18 HPX is with the 115 SHO . Lots of things effect the hole shot prop diameter, motor height, boat balance / weight distribution , barrel length a short barrel with a flare end usually has a better hole shot than a non flare longer tube prop . ventilation hole size , how the pitch progresses, the shoe string size of the blade , a sharp v leading edge and a 90 degree sharp square trailing edge  , balance , how exact each blade is to each other . All of the above effect hole shot . I wish it was as simple as a 4 blade or a three blade . One of the few props that I have never owned or tested but sounds like a great prop for a HPX I think would be the Power Tech Pro 4 . A design very close to the Yamaha K Pro Series in a four blade  just sounds like something that should perform great . On some hulls the pro series doesn’t grip well in turns but is fantastic running straight that 4th blade may be a great addition on that design . May be worth asking Marcus the funky monkey about .    Joe R 

Taking notes as I always do when you talk shop Joe.  Good info you shared here, that could save a novice a lot of time, effort and expense.  👍

Geeviam , you are so right about the expensive part . It’s so easy to talk about props than start doing the wonder how a Pro 4 would work thing , the wonder how prop game is very time consuming and very expensive , than there is the added cost when you buy a prop that gives you the best performance of ant stock out of the box prop and you send it out to be fine tuned to do a little more of what you want $$$ , Ive been thinking that the Pro 4  should do pretty much everything the Pro 3 does but may have more over all lift , may have a little better hole shot , may have a little more grip in a sharp turn situation. I heard that they have been used on some Carolina skiffs with Suzuki’s with great results . I have not heard of anyone testing a Pro 3 and than a Pro 4 on the same set up and compared the two . I also am not sure how much RPM drop there would be between the two . I am guessing to drop from a 21 to a 19 to maintain the same RPM but that just a guess . I really shouldn’t talk about props because it’s is so easy to think what if . $$$ .  Joe R 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/28/2020 at 7:24 PM, dabear said:

Ironhorsecowboy69, did you get a prop yet for your HPX / 150HP set up yet . You should try a see if anyone in your area has a 14 1/2 X23 Pro Series Yamaha prop because a don’t think a 17 pitch prop will work very well on a HPX with a 150 SHO hanging on the rear if Marcus at Power Tech told you to get a 17 pitch maybe he didn’t think you have a 150 HP SHO on it .    Joe R. 

No prop yet .

21 hours ago, Ironhorsecowboy69 said:

Two different Maverick/ Yamaha dealers have recommended different size props. 4 blade 15.25 ( 15 1/4) with a dia 17 pitch or a  3 blade OFX size 15.25 dia 19 . dia  Yamaha recommends 15.125 dia with a 22 pitch and they are four other that they have also. 

The OFX 4 in a 19 should have a amazing hole shot . You would leave a little top end on the table but if it’s a hole shot you want that should have a great hole shot . 

2 hours ago, dabear said:

The OFX 4 in a 19 should have a amazing hole shot . You would leave a little top end on the table but if it’s a hole shot you want that should have a great hole shot . 

I ended up getting a OFX 4 in a 20 after talking with the prop whisper. Thank you Marcus with Powertech for the advance and help.

13 hours ago, Ironhorsecowboy69 said:

I ended up getting a OFX 4 in a 20 after talking with the prop whisper. Thank you Marcus with Powertech for the advance and help.

That should be in the ball park . Don’t get in a hurry fine tuning the prop and balancing the boat until you have a few hours driving it under different conditions with different loads . Figure out how you will use your boat most of the time , the amount of gas you run how many people are usually in the boat where they sit running shallow running in rough conditions . When you figure out what you do most of the time and what’s more important(speed ,hole shot  ,lift ,  ride, running shallow, all of the above )  than you can fine tune your set up to meet your needs . Not to many company’s have someone like Marcus giving free advice and trying to hook up his customers with a prop that will give them what they are asking for . We all drive ,  set up , and load our boats differently and there is no one size fits all prop that will but a smile of everyone’s face . A prop one guy loves the guy standing next to him may not be crazy about . Good luck hope you get many years of fun out of your HPX . I love mine . Joe R 

• Like 1