Redfisher 16 w/ 115 SHO: need prop help

AGlass

I have a 2005 Redfisher 16 with 115 SHO on a Bob's 6" jack plate. I'm looking to change prop from a Powertech SCD4 16 P because I'm not getting near the top end I was looking for. I like what I'm hearing about the Talon 19p 3 blade but wanted to see if thats my best option. At WOT I'm seeing 6300 rpm but only 41 mph, thats tabs up and jacked up about .5 -.75 inch.

Power tech Pro 3 -  Power  tech Pro 4 -  Merc Spitefire x-7 -  Yamaha pro series - Yamaha Talon  are all props that should up your MPH on your combo . The PromSeries Yamaha K series is fast straight line speed with great bow lift . Unfortunately Yamaha no longer makes this prop so it must be purchased used than sent out to have it touched up . The Pro 3 power tech is very very close to the same exact prop and much easier to find , The Merc Spitefire is a little less diameter than the average 115 hp prop it’s a little less than 13 , it’s a great all around prop .    

The 3 props that I have and use on my VF 115 Yamaha for the last couple years are

1. Yamaha Pro Series K-21 

2. Power Tech Pro 3  21 pitch dialed in by Rich at leading edge

(Props are very simulator great straight line speed and bow lift).

3. Mercury SpitefirecX-7   21 pitch reworked by Mercury Racing - prop has good speed - great hole shot - good over all lift  - corners well without losing bite . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AGlass said:

I have a 2005 Redfisher 16 with 115 SHO on a Bob's 6" jack plate. I'm looking to change prop from a Powertech SCD4 16 P because I'm not getting near the top end I was looking for. I like what I'm hearing about the Talon 19p 3 blade but wanted to see if thats my best option. At WOT I'm seeing 6300 rpm but only 41 mph, thats tabs up and jacked up about .5 -.75 inch.

That's a good amount of slip for a 4-blade.  I tried the PT SCD4 on my Redfisher 16 with a 115 SHO as well, and it was not so speedy either.  All the props Dabear listed above are good ones - especially the Mercury Spitfire X7 17 pitch.  You should get 49 mph top speed with it, and your boat will jump up on plane like a rocket!

1 hour ago, geeviam said:

That's a good amount of slip for a 4-blade.  I tried the PT SCD4 on my Redfisher 16 with a 115 SHO as well, and it was not so speedy either.  All the props Dabear listed above are good ones - especially the Mercury Spitfire X7 17 pitch.  You should get 49 mph top speed with it, and your boat will jump up on plane like a rocket!

It looks like the next prop I'm going to try will be the Merc spitfire X7 17 pitch. I'll let you know what numbers I get. Thanks for all the help.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AGlass said:

It looks like the next prop I'm going to try will be the Merc spitfire X7 17 pitch. I'll let you know what numbers I get. Thanks for all the help.

You're welcome!  When you order the prop, you'll want to get the solid PVS vent plugs.  No need for any vent holes with this prop, on your boat/motor combo.

I finally put the Mercury Spitfire X7 on my  2008 16 Redfishes with a 2018 Mercury Pro XS 115 4S. I too get about 49 mph but much better hole shot and way less bow rise and less porpoising issues than I had with the crappy three blade that was on it when I bought it. I highly recommend the X7 17p

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AGlass said:

I’m not a master with the props but I did find a happy place and it seemed crazy but I put a merc 4 blade bravo 22p and I love it I actually picked up speed compared to my 17 3 blade 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, dabear said:

Hightailin18 , What series mere bravo will fit a 115 SHO ?   I have never see a bravo on a 115 Yamaha , what size hub and prop diameter bravo are you running on a 115 Yamaha . Thanks for any info. Joe R 

Overall diameter and the fact that the bravo fs starts at 21 is the reason I mentioned the enertia rather than the bravo fs. 

Isn’t the enertia  prop  hub size is 4.75  ?  The 4.75 hub is not for a 115 Yamaha either . As far as I know both the bravo and enertia prop are large hub props for 150-300HP Yamahas .  If Mercury makes a Bravo or a Enertia prop pro a 115 Yamaha have not seen it do you have the part number for a merc enertia or bravo prop that is for a 115 Yamaha ?     Maybe I am missing something but as far as I know they are both 4.75 large hub props and are not made for the smaller 4.25 Hub 115 SHO Yamaha motors .    Yamahas 4.25 hub pro series is a K 21 , K is for 4.25 size and 21 is the pitch . Power Tech uses a D for the 4.25 hub size .     Joe R 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 7:21 PM, AGlass said:

I was told the Quicksilver Q4 17 pitch would be the same as the Mercury Spitfire X7 17 pitch. Can anyone confirm?

The mercury to quicksilver cross over chart has           MERCURY ———————— Quicksilver

spitefire —————————- Nemesis

Mercury Quicksilver
Alpha 4 (No Longer Available) Diamond 4 (NLA, See Quicksilver Nemesis)
Black Max Black Diamond
Mercury Enertia Quicksilver Q3
Mercury High Five Quicksilver QST5
Mercury Mirage Quicksilver Thunderbolt
Mercury Revolution 4 Quicksilver Q4 (4-3/4" Gearcase)
Mercury Spitfire Quicksilver Nemesis
Mercury Vengeance Quicksilver Silverado
Mercury Laser II Quicksilver Lightspeed
Mercury Spitfire X7 Quicksilver Q4 (4-1/4" Gearcase)

I have never run or know of anyone that has run the Quicksilver Nemesis prop .

I do know that it is a aluminum prop so it would be very HP like the X-7 spitefire that

is made out of a superior super strong  stainless . 

But I have run the spitefire X-7 and like it . I also know a few people that have run a

spitefire X-7 on a 16 RF with a 115 and they all have had good things to say about it .

The extra long barrel helps stern lift and hole shot . The smaller than average diameter 

makes it easy to turn up RPM faster than a larger diameter wheel . 
I hope this info helps you prop your boat . I really do think that a 17 Spitefire X-7 

will gain you a few MPH , a good hole shot and good over all hull lift .    Joe R 

On 8/17/2020 at 7:21 PM, AGlass said:

I was told the Quicksilver Q4 17 pitch would be the same as the Mercury Spitfire X7 17 pitch. Can anyone confirm?

From what I can tell, the Spitfire X7 and the Quicksilver Q4 (4 1/4 gearcase) are similar castings, but made of different metals.  The Quicksilver Q4 is less expensive and made of stainless steel, and the Spitfire X7 is a little more expensive and made of X7 Alloy (30% stronger the stainless steel).

Mercury claims that the use of super-strong X7 alloy in the Enertia, Fury, and Spitfire X7 props allows them to add more special sauce to the pitch and cup, compared to props made with conventional stainless steel.  I'm a believer.  From these pictures, there seems to be a slight difference in the shape of the blades, and a noticable difference in the cupping and finish between the Quicksilver Q4 and the Spitfire X7.

Quicksilver Q4 (4.25" gearcase), from Amazon website:

QuicksilverQ4_425.jpg

Spitfire X7 (had on my boat, and sold the prop when I lost my mind one day):

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p_D.jpg

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p_B.jpg

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p_A.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 3:11 AM, geeviam said:

Mercury claims that the use of super-strong X7 alloy in the Enertia, Fury, and Spitfire X7 props allows them to add more special sauce to the pitch and cup, compared to props made with conventional stainless steel.  I'm a believer.  From these pictures, there seems to be a slight difference in the shape of the blades, and a noticable difference in the cupping and finish between the Quicksilver Q4 and the Spitfire X7.

Quicksilver Q4 (4.25" gearcase), from Amazon website:

QuicksilverQ4_425.jpg

Spitfire X7 (had on my boat, and sold the prop when I lost my mind one day):

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p_D.jpg

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p_B.jpg

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p_A.jpg

Thank you for all the help so far. I just ran the boat tonight with the Q4 17p and here are my numbers. I'll also include my approx. numbers with the SCD4 16p.

Q4 17p

WOT 5800 rpm 43.6mph - tabs up

4000 rpm 28.4 mph

5000 rpm 36.7 mph

One plane tabs down 5 seconds

SCD4

WOT 6200 rpm 41 mph - tabs up (heavier load than the Q4 test)

3700 rpm while getting on plane in 4.5-5 seconds

I also have a 3 blade 19 pitch Yamaha prop that I liked on my last motor (90hp four stroke). I spun the hub before my re-power so I'm going to get it refurbished soon and give that a try.
I'll be returning the Q4 and staying with the SCD4 as it was better overall.
Let me know if you think I should try something else.