New 4 stroke - boat rides stern heavy

Fatherof4

Thanks all....Will keep you posted.  I have not tried a 21P.  When I first got it, it had a 19P, 3-blade, topped around 48mph.  The 4 blade, 17P rides ALOT better, but, is slower, at around 43-44mph.  Could care less about top speed as I felt like I was running 90.  Just might like a little faster cruise speed, or not turning quite as many RPMs.  Any way, was pleasantly surprised with the 17P.  Gonna try a 19P and see...I also took down to Orange Beach and got Sea Dek installed in the floor.  For what little material there was, crap, that stuff is high....

Excited to get it back and see how she rides mounted right on the boat.

6 hours ago, Fatherof4 said:

Thanks all....Will keep you posted.  I have not tried a 21P.  When I first got it, it had a 19P, 3-blade, topped around 48mph.  The 4 blade, 17P rides ALOT better, but, is slower, at around 43-44mph.  Could care less about top speed as I felt like I was running 90.  Just might like a little faster cruise speed, or not turning quite as many RPMs.  Any way, was pleasantly surprised with the 17P.  Gonna try a 19P and see...I also took down to Orange Beach and got Sea Dek installed in the floor.  For what little material there was, crap, that stuff is high....

Excited to get it back and see how she rides mounted right on the boat.

Father, I’ll be that guy that asks the question: Knowing what you know about the 150  , do you think you should have gone with the 115?

I can't answer for him but with the exact same hull...wooo weee no way. Those are heavy hulls and 115 I think would take forever to get on plane and struggle to get you in the fortys. That engine with the right prop and dialed in is mid 50's and jumps up out of the hole. 

I think the 19 may be too small for you but interested to hear numbers. That 21 M is not your average 21 and if your run cross one you may really like it. It performs well on our hulls with strong power. 

Thanks for the question, but, as triplec said...No way anything smaller than a 150.  I think its the perfect power plant for this boat...if I could figure out the weight a little.  These boats were made before 4 strokes and the weight, but, nothing below a 150.  Boat runs great, plenty speed (for me) and really good hole shot with the 17P prop.  Might stick with it, but, want to try out a 19P.  Not counting out a 21...My top end, now with a 17P, is plenty...Haven't checked fuel economy, but, it doesnt matter, but, I'm sure its greatly improved from my old 2 stroke.

Yes, I have used him on prior boats and he certainly knows what he's talking about.  For this, my dealer that I bought the engine through is letting my try different props.  Hoping to get it back in the next week...Not that I can use it anytime soon with other commitments...but, ready for it to be home nonetheless.

Well, got the Maverick back Friday afternoon.  Haven't ridden it yet, but, already like it.  On the ride home, before the removal of the jack plate, I could feel the stern bouncing back there on the trailer.  Now, nothing.  Much more stable.  And, by removing the jack plate, it solved a couple of other problems.  With the increased size of the new cowling, I could not raised my motor all the way, and the hydraulic steering lines would hit on the back of the boat.  That has all now been fixed.  Really excited to ride the finished product.  Only thing left is to move the battery into the console.

Will keep you all posted.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I made a change from 150 Yamaha Vmax to a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. on a 20ft LT,  The real difference is about 75 lbs , when you remove the oil reservoir and related oil injector equipment. I moved the batteries up front and the trolling motor to the bow. Boat doesn't show any difference with the motor shift. I think as others have said the Jack plate is the main issue to get rid of to balance the boat up. If anything my LT is bow heavy now at high speeds. I need a new prop to give the bow a lift. Working on that now. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is old, but I have been entertaining a repower of my 01 MA18  w my 150hp Vmax OX66.  I already replaced head from Hydro tech-- boat screams but likes oil and gas.  Do you have trolling batteries in the false floor under the large bow hatch?  Merc 150s showing 456lbs dry w 20".  Does the yammi clear the poling platform when tilted? Thanks

• 2 months later...

I have only had it in the water once, since I removed the JP.  It does ride better, and I do not need tabs, near as much.  Maybe its in my head, but, it seems to still be a little stearn heavy.  But, it's probably so minor....Gonna run it again first weekend of April for a few days....But, the 150 is a good match for the 18 MA.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would post again.  Was in Port St joe for an entire week last week.  Ran the boat a lot.  Caught some fish, got in some wind, and over all, very happy with the F150sho.  I have a whopping 18 hrs on it.  I kept the 17P 4 blade prop.  Love the ride, power and the much improved fuel economy.  Did not put any gas in it all week.  It does not ride QUITE like it did before, but, with a very slight tab adjustment, the ride is great.  Really glad I made the change.  

As mentioned, I did put in sea dek in the floor only of the boat...not the casting deck...yet...one of the best things I have done.  Was professionally installed.  Great on bare feet, good traction, etc.  Love it.  It was pricey, but, glad I did it.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

IMO the best engine is the 150 VMax OX66.  Boat drafts 11 “ at rest.  I will dread having to repower because all new options are at least 100-120 lb diff.  I even changed power head to add life to my engine. Can’t believe merc can’t drop a 150 that’s less then 500lbs.