Marine rope deal

FINCHASER

Home depot now carries marine double braid rope for .54 a ft (for 3/8"). Ive been wanting to upgrade from 3 strand for a while but refuse to pay rope prices at west marine or other stores. They have 3/8 and 1/2" in dark blue and white / tan... forgot to get price on the 1/2.

Picked up a fid the other day... gonna try my hand at putting eye splice on the end.

I bought some double braded rope a few years back. Thought it would be an up-grade from three strand twisted.

Well, here is the problem. The double braded rope started to twist, like an old phone cord. I bought an expensive S/S swivel hoping it would stop the rope from twisting, but it didn't help. I would have to un-tie my anchor rope from the locker and untwist all 100 ft. by hand. Two fishing trips later, same problem. I posted on another form and some others had the same problem. A couple of posters said double braded could not be used for anchor rope for that very reason. So, I switched back to three strand twisted and solved the problem. I hope your experience is better then mine, cause that's a good price.

PS; I only fish shallow and my anchor does not flop around or roll over while on the bottom, so I can't explain why the rope twisted.

That is very odd about the double braid twisting like that. After 30 years in the Coast Guard operating small boats and smaller cutters, I have never experienced or heard of that problem, and double braid is the standard material for anchor line if not using straight chain.

When you stow your anchor line, do you coil it down in the anchor locker or fake it, figure eight, toss it in, etc? I could understand the twist if the line was coiled in the hold.

Dock Lines

http://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Double-Dockline-2-Inch-20-Foot/dp/B004XAD87K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453334409&sr=8-1&keywords=marine+dock+lines

Anchor lines are specific to use, retrieval methods and so on.

There are some great 8 plait soft ropes out there for windl*** and anchoring purposes. They are not intended for use as dock lines.

Ropes, rode and all of the above require maintenance and despite what some believe they wear out and need to be replaced at some point.

The twisting concerns must be a function of the use. They don't build a rope you can't twist in the wrong application.

Capt. don't want to be argumentative but I can't see how my anchoring and retrieval methods contributed to the rope twisting. Most of the time, I'm anchored in less than 5ft. of water, with about 20 ft. or rope. I use the original Sea-Claw anchor, so it glides through the water upon retrieval and does not spin.

When I retrieve the anchor, I just pile it in the anchor locker hand over hand, no coiling.

Every strand on a rope will have a twist depending on how the fibers were placed, usually a left hand twist. As the strands are placed they offset the twist. More strand = more offset and less natural twist. With 2 strands there is less compensation for twist but the benefit is less stretch. Good old twine is an example of 2 strand cord.

Every strand on a rope will have a twist depending on how the fibers were placed, usually a left hand twist. As the strands are placed they offset the twist. More strand = more offset and less natural twist. With 2 strands there is less compensation for twist but the benefit is less stretch. Good old twine is an example of 2 strand cord.

I use the same anchor SCFD with same rope and application.

I am confused as all of my ropes are the same on my flats boat.

long retrievals on the big boat requires a swivel as I may be backing up retrieving 400 plus feet of rode and heck yes the anchor will spin.

You spin the rope it will twist. The more the distance the more the spin.

Kinda like fishing with a spoon that twists. Keep throwing it and your line will twist. Mono will remember it and braid will forget it. Once you get the twist out. ;)

Well, I posted the question on THT and most everyone that replied uses braided rope for their anchor line and they don't have any problems. Maybe I just got some cheap Chinese braded rope?????????? I guess it was an anomaly, but didn't want guys to spend money for braided rope if my experience was typical. When I wear out the thimble in by 3 strand, I'll try the braided stuff again.

Archived